Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

What type of material does everybody use for crankbait bills on their

Here is what I have thought of using to make a divinglip for crankbait type of flies.

Metal lip

Guitar pick

Monofilament and sili skin

0.10 mylar

Circuit board

Clear plastic

I am curious to see what everyone else has used. BF

A piece of 'fun foam' shaped like a ping pong paddle, and tied in by the 'handle' also works. Just be sure the lip points down.

perchjerker

I've tried a few times over the years to make flies with bills or lips, and each time, I've found they cast like absolute crap. When you cast a crankbait on spinning or casting tackle, it usually flies through the air tail first (of course with a little bit of spin or tumble), the lip which digs into the water on retrieve is backwards and also being stabilized by the line. When you try to cast a very light fly with a lip on fly tackle, that same lip is pointing forward, digging into the air causing twist and spin and misery. Trying to punch out a long cast with that kind of fly without using very heavy tackle is not fun for me. With flies, you can get dive and wobble by forgetting a bill or lip like on hardware, and building the planing surface into the body of the fly--- Dahlberg Diver and Edmond's Stealth Bomber are two great examples.

so, if I want to fish with a crankbait, I pick up one of my spinning rods.