Fly Tying
rbreedi1

Need help deciding between vises

Peak Rotary vs. Renzetti Traveler.. what you think? I have had a few people recommend the renzetti but thought maybe I could save a few bucks with the peak if its just as good?

I say go for peak. I have tried their vises and they're are amazing. Nice smooth rotary function and appears as though a lot less parts that could be broken, as opposed to the renzetti. Also, the renzetti traveler is very small and compact, which I am not a fan of. But, it is up to you. Just my two cents.

Do you have a local store? If so try them both out then you'll know. I would also say go for the peak have heard lots of good things about them, but I have the same with the renzetti. It's all a personal preference.

I have the Traveler. I will say that the Peak comes with the heaviest base on the market, which is a plus. I think it is 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other when comparing the two. $50 dfference could get you a nice tool set (Dr. Slick).

-Forrest

NJ All Day hit it. Try them both out, see which one feels best TO YOU. They are both fine vises, and either would serve you well for many years. Vises are a personal preference, like NJ said. Don't get too caught up on what is the "best" vise. It's function is to hold a hook well while you tie dead animal parts to it. If it does that, and you feel comfortable using it, then that's the vise for you.

I've had a few vises over the years - non rotary, full rotory, and a few in between. Finally settled on a Regal for it's simplicity and construction. You and others might not agree, but it's my money. :D

I own a Peak as my primary vise for 5 or 6 years now. I've tied on the different Renzetties and they are very good vises. If I had to buy another vise, it would be another Peak. Bombproof, no weird o-rings. The "Clouser Arm" for Renzetti is a plus if you tie a lot of those style flies, but I tie a LOT of those flies perfectly well on my Peak, and of course it's an added cost for the R vise.

Guest rich mc

i tie on renzetti traveler that i got used 8yrs ago. a few fellow tyers have the peak and they enjoy them. i will be getting a new vise soon and it may be a peak. rich mc

I have the peak and like it very much except the jaws are not that strong so expect to have to replace them because they have chipped on mine and my friends after about two years of tying, but I haven't used the traveler so I don't know which is better.

I have the peak and like it very much except the jaws are not that strong so expect to have to replace them because they have chipped on mine and my friends after about two years of tying, but I haven't used the traveler so I don't know which is better.

Contact Peak about your chipped jaws. As stated I've had mine for almost 6 years, and the jaws are still close to perfect. I disagree that a tier should "expect to have to replace them". From what I've seen, on all but the cheapest vises, jaw problems are largely due to operator error. Once in a great while there is a metallurgy problem, and the vise maker should be eager to fix that.

i too would have to agree with JSzymczyk statement above that its most likely 'operator error' that causes vise jaws to chip or throw hooks out.

if you have a local fly shop that has both vises or some friends that have these vises you are considering, then the best thing for you to do is try them both out before deciding which one fits your tying style

There are 'good' vises and there are 'good quality' vises, but they don't always go hand-in-hand. Listen to others for 'good quality' ones. That can give you a lot of help to find the ones which will serve you for many years. But ultimately, the 'GOOD' vise is always the one you feel comfortable with yourself. Try to get a chance to squeeze them both. That's always the best way to do it.

since I have own both I would say Peak... although the three Renzettis I have own have been great I would still prefer the Peak.

Steve

I've got a Peak and a Regal and I find myself using the Peak more often. I played with a Traveler once and it felt too 'light' (?). Hard to describe, but it just didn't feel good to me. The Peak is built like a tank - and that may not feel good to you...