Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bear-kodiak

woven hackle tools....Todd Collins ?

Hello List: Was looking for contact info for a Todd Collins out of Butte MT.

He makes tools for making woven hackle trout flies in the Grant fashion. Thank you

for any and all help.....jim

In the referenced video clip it is mentioned that a crochet hook, commonly available, and

a weaving post which Mr. Collins makes are tools which ease the process.

In the video, it appears to be nothing more than a 3/8" rod mounted in a vise c-clamp for attaching to the bench, and with a rubber grommet on the other end of the rod to pass the thread around to keep the two thread strands separated and at the same height as the push pin in the jaws of the vise. The grommet appeared to be the ones used by electricians for the holes in junction boxes.

perchjerker

the only other tool used in the video above appears to be a hackle blier that has been modified to add a gage to determine the length of the hair tips depending on the size of the fly to be tied. that can easily be made at home

the "knit picker" tool can be found at any big box craft store in the sewing section

the rod with the grommet could also be made from a wooden dowel and screwed into your tying bench

the other specialized tool is called a "push pin" and can be found at any local big box office supply store

:) :)

ok so is there a link to this "weaving post"?

heres a tool

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/advanced/part3.php

The bottom photos in the above flyanglersonline tutorial show a tier weaving around a three-strand loom.

Franz Pott used a two strand loom. And so did George Grant. Pages 65-69 of Grant's Master Fly Weaver clearly show a two-strand loom.

So does Grant's patent application.

Both Pott and Grant got patents for their woven hackle techniques. But it's not all clear what the differences were.

I suppose it's possible there were no differences. Perhaps Pott's patent had expired. I've heard (from one of the former owners of the Pott Fly Company--after Pott's death) that there were differences. But it's not clear just what those differences are or were.

Perhaps someone else can clear that up.

flytire:

I thought the question had to do with 'his' weaving post, as you asked about a 'link' to it. His basic setup has all the trappings of a Nor-Vise, if you look at what he has in his set up. The black post to his right (the bobbin holder on a Nor-Vise set up) is his weaving post.

If you will look at the video again, Randy clearly states that he is going "to put the thread around the "'post'", at which time he passes it around the black rod to his right, just before he puts it around the push-pin. Before he begins to wind the hackle, he again says that he is "going to remove the 'post'" to get it out of his way. He removes it and lays it on his table. He does NOT dwell on it.

Having used both the knit picker and a crochet needle for making "legs on a stick" from cock pheasant tail feathers, I find the crochet hook to be a superior tool for the process, and am inclined to believe that it would be superior to a knit picker in this instance. The little latch can be a real PITA at times. My knit picker cannot be beat, IMHO, for making Shorb Loops in my furled leaders, where the latch is an invaluable component!

Yes, a knit picker, as well as a wooden dowel, can be substituted for what he has.

perchjerker

Was looking for contact info for a Todd Collins out of Butte MT. He makes tools for making woven hackle trout flies in the Grant fashion.

i think the original question is stated above

i asked about the "weaving post" that stippled popper mentions in his reply "a weaving post which Mr. Collins makes are tools which ease the process."

i DO understand the process that randy flynn is showing

a norvise and thread post setup would probably be a good setup for this weaving process

if a knit picker or crochet hook makes tying an overhand knot in whatever material easier, then go for it. my aging hands are probably going to need it someday :D

i think the original poster may have his original question answered

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?43008-woven-hackle-tools-Todd-Collins

after reviewing the randy flynn video for the umpteenth and final time, it is apparent that the 'weaving post' can be simply made from a 3/8 inch diameter metal or wooden rod set into a standard vise pedestal with a hardware store rubber grommet as perchjerker indicated in one of his posts.

10003909.jpg t_rubber_grommets_big.jpg

the other tool mentioned is the hackle pliers with a strip of brass silver soldered to it. this is another simple tool that can be made at home. a 1/4 inch wide strip of brass can be found in the model making supply aisle in your favorite big box crafy/hobby store. silver solder this strip onto an old pair of english style hackle pliers and etch in some lines to mark different lengths for the hackles and your good to go.

8301%20English%20Hackle%20Plier%20.jpg Brass_Strips.jpg

flytire:

I might add to your excellent photos and description of how to make the gauge for the hackle pliers, that the brass most likely will have to be silver soldered to the hackle pliers, as noted in the video. If so, a regular soldering gun and solder will not work. Simply have your favorite jewelry repairman do it for you, as he has the necessary tools and solder.

perchjerker