Fly Tying
sniksoh

pike fishing help

im headed up to minnesota here in a few weeks to try to catch some pike. i have never done this so i need a little help. first off what are some of your top producing flies and in what colors? another question is what type of tippet do you use to avoid the pike cutting through the line with thier teeth? what type of leader? any other suggestions would be great.

thanks,

sniksoh

im headed up to minnesota here in a few weeks to try to catch some pike. i have never done this so i need a little help. first off what are some of your top producing flies and in what colors? another question is what type of tippet do you use to avoid the pike cutting through the line with thier teeth? what type of leader? any other suggestions would be great.

thanks,

sniksoh

last year I fished Rainy Lake for pike in June, I caught most of mine on big (2/0 gamakatsu 10 BS stinger hook) poppers and Dahlberg divers, good luck, they are so much fun to catch.

I fish for the "hammer handles" around here in November. Not sure how much help I can be, but I'll give it a shot. You could try bigger versions of what I use. :lol:

I use small (size 4-6) Deceivers a lot. Usually they are emerald green, red and white, or chartreuse. If tied in bigger sizes, I'm sure the big boys would like them too. ;)

For the hammer handles, I use 10lb leader and 15-17lb bite wire. For bigger fish I would have to agree with what riffle said.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with bigger pike lol! :lol:

I use 80 to 120 pound fluorocarbon and use the knot below and you'll have not problems with slipping. Carefull not to get a snag as it's really hard to break it off. I use a small section of lighter weight mono between the fly line and fluoro for that problem.

http://leetauchen.com/lees_leader_knot.pdf

If you're looking for flies, the guy that runs this site is a member here and is one heck of a stand up fella, lots of good big nasty pikey/musky stuff to drool over and lots of good info. It's an Scotch run site so some of the materials are not available here in the states but there are perfect subs available here in the states so check it out.

Mc Fluffchuckers Pike and Predator Flies

Here is one that I took from the Pike and Predator site and made a video for... called a Hot Core and has been smoking hot for LMB this year tie it to a bigger hook and give it a bit more length and bam you're in for pike. NOTE: in the video I am actually using congo hair from FTD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXrup9XCIBQ

Steve

Here is one that I took from the Pike and Predator site and made a video for... called a Hot Core and has been smoking hot for LMB this year tie it to a bigger hook and give it a bit more length and bam you're in for pike. NOTE: in the video I am actually using congo hair from FTD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXrup9XCIBQ

Steve

That is a sweet tie, Steve! I favorited that one for later.

I tied a fly for a swap that resulted in 21 pike. It was a big orange cross between a nuddler and a widow angel streamer.

5/0 3407 hook; orange schlappen accented with grizzly; saltwater mylar flash (~1/8" wide); dubbed artic fox orange, interwrapped with mylar palmer chenille; and a big spun deer hair head with 3D holographic eyes (coated with CCG for durability). When I get home i'll see if I can dig up pictures.

If you are going for big fish check out "Hang Time" by Brad Bohen. It was in one of the old Hatches magazines.

Here's the fly that bagged a bunch of pike for a friend...sort of a widow angle muddler with a deerhair trailer

post-4245-0-97867700-1316180714_thumb.jpg