Fly Tying
Markbob

Hook Brand

Hook Brand  

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When it comes to my saltwater tying, I am pretty exclusive to Gamakatsu but for my trout flies, I was trying to stick with TMC (I originally thought this was an American made product, I know better now). The problem I am running into, is that I am trying to stick with only barbless hooks and it seems that I would be better off just buying from which ever company has the best hook for the job. Do you stick to a particular company or do you just get what you need?

I don't favor one brand over another - I just get the style I need (light wire, curved shank, etc.)

I think the quality of the hooks are all pretty good, and I've never had any problem with any make or brand. Those stories about certain manufacturer's hooks being brittle or some such thing are started by guess who - the competition's sales guys. I'm sure you will hear from all kinds of folks who have had a certain make hook break on them, etc., but I think they're all about equal as far as quality goes. At least that's been my experience.

Hi Kevin. I buy to suit my needs, but my favorite hooks are Daiichi and TMC. For instance, I like TMC 2488 for their fine wire, large gape and straight eye. I use them for small dries and emergers. I like the old Mustad 3399s for my wet flies. But I'm probably too technical and maybe that's unnecessary, but I think I do better catching that way.

Bruce

I've come to prefer specific hook models from different makers, but do not have any loyalties to a particular brand. I use Gamakatsu, VMC, Mustad, Eagle Claw, Owner, Kamasan, TMC, Daiichi, Partridge & Dai Riki hooks, and a few others for tying flies. I also don't always tie on "fly" hooks! :rolleyes:

I prefer Daiichi, but like most Mustads too. But my favorite hook brand is Allcock, they made possibly the best mass produced hook ever! 1906m! But any day you ask I'll take Ronn Lucas' hooks.

i hold no allegiance to any brand

they are mostly made in the same factories somewhere in asia and just have a different name :lol:

Hooks are much like nails... you use the size and style that meets your needs (and that can be a wide variety, indeed). As a saltwater tier I occasionally need a much stronger hook than any freshwater tyer would ever use (the Owner Aki, and I'm buying them by the 1000 per size). I also like the Tiemco 600sp but can't get them in bulk. I also use a ton of Mustad 34007, buying them at the 1000 level per size as well. I actually keep on hand a variety of other hooks (including some that aren't stainless at all) for other needs.

I noted that one tier specified a need for barbless hooks. Any fly that I tie for myself instead of for a shop starts with the barb being flattened. I've never bought a "barbless" hook, but everything I use is pretty much barbless.... I haven't noticed any difference in how well fish stay attached and I'm convinced that the hook bites a fish much better without that barb.

Here's a pic of a hook style that was never meant for fly tying but it works like a charm when you're fishing deep. The pattern is a Whitewater Bay Clouser....

post-30940-0-89567200-1313840690_thumb.jpg

all hooks do not come from the same ultimate source although some makers do turn out varying spec hooks for different clients.

Hooks do vary widely in strength. I no longer use Tiemco salmon hooks as they have straigtened out too often (twice) on big fish. Mustads do not even get past muster in a casual inspection. Same with smaller gauge nymph hooks for steelhead.

If all you mess with are dinks, any hook will do. When strength matters go with quality hooks.

Some hook brands are also very poor at holding a sharpened point in rocky rivers.

Rocco

No major loyalty. My views on brands though:

Mustad: most common hook in my box, I've got all kinds and they're all fine.

TMC: probably best quality hook. Cost more, but nice stuff. Particularly like the #8089 bass bug hook, about all I use now.

Dai Riki: best overall value IMO; decent quality, get a bunch of hooks for not a lot of cash. I know some people don't like them, I've had no problems.

Tom

I'm with onceahoosier no brand loyalty, and this also applies to my jig hooks. I don't have any of the newer Mustad fly hooks, still working with the old ones. Also have Eagle Claws, TMC's, Dai-Riki's and some owners - those free sample packs listed in Fly Tyer magazine are really nice for being free.

I tried a few Allcocks as they were in a batch of materials I bought on ebay. They are really nice hooks.

I use a lot of different brand hooks but my favorite hooks are made by gamakatsu. Sharp & durable sweetness out of the pkg. but heavy on the wallet.