Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Brushed Llama Minnow

Ingredients :

Gamakatsu SC 15 #1

Benecchi Thread #10

Danville's Ultra Fine Mono Thread

0.030 Leadfree wire

Purple Llama fur and purple sparkle of just buy a Llama Dubbing Brush, or twist your own creations with a block!

http://www.canadianllama.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=118

UV Sparkle

EP eyes 'Yellow Pearl 4.5'

SBS :

Wrap the GSP onto the SC15 hook

Add 10 or so wraps of the leadfree wire along the hooks shank, form a 'dam' at each end with your thread

Attach the dubbing brush where the hook starts to bend, wind forward stroking fur back as you go (careful not to trap any fiber)

Whip Finish or place a few half hitches, head cement, cut off thread

Give it a quick comb and trim

Re- Attach the clear mono thread, tie in some UV sparkle, folding in half towards the tail of the fly

Trim, and comb, add head cement.

Instructions :

Attach to 6- 10 ft of 20lb fluorocarbon and a sink tip around 300 grains or more - find steelhead or salmon, swing through deep pools and seams, hang on.

Next :

Make as intruder style or with dumbbell eyes or both to eliminate fouling and snagging! West Coast Style!

post-29540-0-31141300-1314053621_thumb.jpg

Under Water Llama

post-29540-0-79639200-1314053646_thumb.jpg

Man, you tie some great looking baitfish flies ;) That slime profile would work great around pods of glass minnows. Never tied with llama hair, may have to give it a shot

Thanks agn54 - i am still grateful for your help with the bendback flies you do so nicely. Can't wait to see more! (even have 1 here from a swap i am looking forward to getting wet) I plan on tying quite a few more before the 3 month trip to Australia come December. Even picked up some of the clear cure goo to help finish the heads after attaching stick on eyes, not sure if it will make a difference to the fish, but the fisherman will appreciate it!

These minnows i have used non stop for a couple of years now, there are occasions where it really works so well. Not just fresh but chasing bait in the salt. Any hints on size and colour for your applications i can do and send a couple!

Replacing my collection at the moment and these 2 i did earlier really popped out at me for pink salmon, have some 0.015 leadfree wire, its flame red or a bright pink EP 'Silky Fiber' not EP, with a hefty amount of Fluoro Purple Sparkle.

Have a nice folder of fish pics, fish which ate this minnow and have it hanging from their yaps. I even think i shouldn't be posting it, its that effective.

West Coast Pink Salmon Candied Fire Minnow...

post-29540-0-82582700-1314235002_thumb.jpg