Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Pics of my first rod building kit.

Thanks OSD, yep the winding check finally layed flat but I had to sand down somemore of the handle. But it worked. I am going to extend some of the on the blank today. I noticed I hadn't made them about the same length.

Thanks

Jim

Nice!! I particularly like the blue wrappings. What is the length and line weight? What's next on the list of "Rods I Absolutely Need To Build?" Let us know how it performs and pictures of what it hauls in for you. wink.gif

This one is 8'6" 5 wt 4 pc that I bought from Hook and Hackle when they had them on sale about a month ago. After I get this one done. I want to build a spinning rod for my brother for Christmas. If anyone has any suggestions on kits or blanks and components I would greatly appreciate it. He fish for trout so I am thinking in the lines of a trout rod 2 pc.

Thanks

Jim

Here's two: www.anglersworkshop.com and www.customtackle.com are ones that come to mind. I've dealt with Custom Tackle for a bamboo restoration- great and helpful folks. CT will give recommendations for what you need. Found them through a friend who builds rods as a hobby. smile.gif

I know that www.mudhole.com carries spinning blanks and components. You'd have to check and see if they do kits as well.

Ha Ha OSD, I bought him a flyrod about 3 years ago and I think he has used it only 2 times and that was practice casting in the grass. So that is why I figured he would get more use out of a spinning rod.

Thanks

Jim

Fine looking rod you made there, Jim. clapping.gif

How many times did you have to redo the wraps? wink.gif

It looks a lot like my 8'6" #4 also orderd from H&H.

I will post som pictures shotly, the handle and reelseat is done.

BTW. How du i post pictures ?? dunno.gif

Vagn

DK -

To upload pics, go to the photo gallery and select Upload Photo.

Once you have uploaded the pic, view it by going to the category where you uploaded it to (Rod Building) and click on the thumbnail. You can now copy the URL that is listed below the picture.

Now, go to the post where you want to show the picture, and when posting press the grey IMG button. You can then paste the URL into the popup box, and it will enter that into your post.

I just got finished applying the flex coat. The rod is in the rod dryer right now. Can't wait for it to get finished so I can apply to second coat then take a picture of it again so you all can see.

Jim

Sign in to follow this