Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Martiandrummer

1st Fly Fishing Attempt

Hey everyone,

I finally got to take my Fly gear out for a spin. I only had about an hour and a half, so I boggied down to the Monocacy River here in Frederick.

All I can say is WOW.

After wrestling to get out the door, and even having to make a return trip to the house for my glasses, I managed to get on the water about 9am.

I turned on my little waterproof hand video camera and took some footage before jumping in, and then turned the camera off.

I spent about the 1st hour practicing my casting in thigh deep water, and really started to feel a bit more comfortabe than I had expected.

Then I tied on the first fly that I had bought, which was a Monocacy Bumble Bee, tied by SmokinPrice, which I had purchased from the Orvis dealer downtown.

On about the 5th cast or so I caught my first fish on a fly rod, I was so darn excited that I went to take a picture of it with my camera, and it was turned off.... Duh.... :blink:

Instead of possible harming the fish by waiting for the camera to turn on I just went ahead and released him.

Then I turned on my camera in hopes of possibly catching another.

Low and behold on the very next cast I caught another beautiful Sunfish. Which of course in my excitement I kept referring to as a smallie... :rolleyes: once again excitement had

overridden any for of logic in my brain!!! I had heard many stories from friends about catching a fish and then another on the next cast, but never had done it myself!!!!

Here is a link to the footage I shot, please forgive my childish excitement, and my incorrect references to the fish species.

I sent an email to SmokinPrice and asked him to review the video before posting it, as I was just going nutty over his awesome fly.

And SmokinPrice, if you read this thanks for the species correction!!! I have since downloaded an iPhone app to study some of the freshwater species in this area. :lol:

Link is: Monocacy Trip 8-21-11

if you want to view the video without following the link due to virus or malware concerns, simply search for MartianDrummer on youtube <--- Sad that we have to think about these things huh??? :unsure:

Thanks for letting me share, and as usually I welcome any and all critique and feed back!

Martiandrummer

Yeah we won't be able to release that one he swallowed it deep and he's bleeding.... gonn ahev to keep it and feed him to the masses!!!

Steve

I have been flyfishing for over twenty years I still get so pumped that my hands shake and fumble with the camera,I dont get many pics.stay with it, it gets frustrating some times but the challenge is what makes it rewarding.Best of luck.

It's embedded in your soul now! Welcome to the brotherhood! I've been at it for almost 15 years and I still shake like a leaf before my first cast.

OH, no, now you have done it. You have the sickness and there is only one cure... feed the habbit. IT takes more & better rods, reels, flys, furrled leaders, rivers, trips, casting ability, waders, bug nets, catch nets, cutters, lines, tippits, knots, beer (oops), fly boxes, rod tubes, reel boxes, tools, hats, vests, tie fly vise, fly tie supplies, .... it does NOT end. You are going to have to add on a room to your house!

Thanks everyone for the very kind feedback!

I believe you all have hit the nail on the head... I'm totally hooked :lol:

I have been LM Bass fishing many times, and even had a really sweet bass boat for years, but no fishing experience

to date has topped this one. I know there will be skunks just waiting for me, but let them come, as they to will pass.

Again, thanks for the encouragement and for tolerating my exuberance!

Martiandrummer

what's Orvis doing selling a newbie one of Jeff's flies them are to only be used by people with 20 plus years under their belt great now we wont even be able to get on the rivers because all the newbies with a smokinprice fly will be clogging it up catching all the fish

oh well welcome to the crack of fishing you are now addicted but please keep the secret flies under wraps

good camera work:

be familiar with your camera.........

Keep it in the same pocket...........that way you don't have to search for it after every fish

find the best setting for taking fish photos--keep it set on that--then when you turn the camera on, you are ready to rock.........

a few extra seconds isn't going to hurt the fish............

the more photos you take, the better the pictures will be

the more photos you take, the less time the fish will be out of the water

so, all you need to do is catch more fish...........practice makes perfect right !!!!!!

loved the video !!!

have fun going bankrupt! :lol:

just kidding this stuff it crazy fun! :rolleyes:

good camera work:

Keep it in the same pocket...........that way you don't have to search for it after every fish

find the best setting for taking fish photos--keep it set on that--then when you turn the camera on, you are ready to rock.........

I went fishing in Alaska this summer, had a great time and took lots of pictures. Well, the camera is still inside the zip-lock bag, ... inside the vest pocket of my waders, ... inside the motor home my buddy keeps there, ... inside Alaska. Im in Texas waiting til one of us goes back and gets my camera so I can see my fishing pictures, including a grizzly with two cubs.

good camera work:

I went fishing in Alaska this summer, had a great time and took lots of pictures. Well, the camera is still inside the zip-lock bag, ... inside the vest pocket of my waders, ... inside the motor home my buddy keeps there, ... inside Alaska. I'm in Texas waiting 'til one of us goes back and gets my camera so I can see my fishing pictures, including a grizzly with two cubs.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Welcome to the group! Glad to see the fly worked for you. It was developed for that river. It also brings a smile to my face to see someone brand new to the hobby catching fish on something I tied and loving it. Well done. Sent you an email when you get a chance.

good camera work:

I went fishing in Alaska this summer, had a great time and took lots of pictures. Well, the camera is still inside the zip-lock bag, ... inside the vest pocket of my waders, ... inside the motor home my buddy keeps there, ... inside Alaska. I'm in Texas waiting 'til one of us goes back and gets my camera so I can see my fishing pictures, including a grizzly with two cubs.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yes it IS funny... I have had several laugh times telling it... but it also sux.