Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Edu Bechtold

Hackles in Dry Flies

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at some books and tutorials regarding classic dry fly patterns (light cahil, royal wulf, Quill Gordon). In them they use two hackles of the same color (I understand the need of two on the adams :rolleyes: )

Is there a reason for this? maybe a backup plan if one unties or breaks in a trout take?

Couldn't we be using more wraps from the same hackle?

Also how many wraps do you put, let's say in a #14? more is better?

Thanks for your info

Edu

Well, i know that for the Royal Wulff, its an attractor pattern. So if you're fishing rougher water, the more hackle you have on you're fly the more your fly will float. I would say 2-3 wraps of hackle behind the wings, and 1-2 wraps in front of the wings.

The use of two hackles in earlier versions of fishing flies was due to very short hackles. The quality of hackle 100 year ago, 50 years ago, even 25 years ago was far inferior to the genetic hackle we have now. Hackles now are 6, 8 10, 12+ inches long and you can hackle multiple flies from the same hackle where as before, hackles were 2 to 3 inches long.

Use one hackle for your flies unless it requires 2 colors such as an Adams. For heavy water I use 3 to 5 wraps in back and 2 to 3 in the front depending on the fly.

Rob

I have seen two hackles used to in opposite directions on purpose before too. One point back to the hook bend and one point forward to the eye. I believe this is done to help the fly stay more upright.

Bryan:

You are correct; but, their is a simpler way to accomplish the same effect; you wrap the hackle diagonally to the shank, rather than perpendicular. That is; you tie the hackle in behind the wing and make the first wrap across the hook in front of the wing, take the feather underneath he hook shank in front of the wing and then go across the side of the hook to behind the wing. Repeat as necessary to get the desired amount of hackle on the hook. You are essentially doing a 'figure 8' wrap of the hackle. A.K. Best advocates this method as a way to get a nice evenly hackled fly that will float like a cork.

perchjerker