Fly Tying
freelans

Any ideas on how to tie the striations on this fly?

I can tie the hoppicator and the caddis pupa but I'd really like some idea on how to tie the tungsten chocolate jawbreaker, namely the striated abdomen.

It's a beautiful system that works fantastically for me but learning how to express that striated look has been frustrating.

I can tie the hoppicator and the caddis pupa but I'd really like some idea on how to tie the tungsten chocolate jawbreaker, namely the striated abdomen.

It's a beautiful system that works fantastically for me but learning how to express that striated look has been frustrating.

I don't know what materials are used. But if you are talking about the alternating bands of color(light and dark) on the fly behind the abdomen, it looks

like it could be a Banded Weave. It is discussed in The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles in Chapter 10:

Bodies Section 12 Woven Bodies Method #111.

I don't know what materials are used. But if you are talking about the alternating bands of color(light and dark) on the fly behind the abdomen, it looks

like it could be a Banded Weave. It is discussed in The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles in Chapter 10:

Bodies Section 12 Woven Bodies Method #111.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the benchside reference a look for sure.

Hope it's not too time consuming to do a weave.

Oliver Edwards in his DVD Woven Flies Volume 2 which is part of his Essential Patterns Series, recommends taking a large hook

and a large material such as Ultra Chenille(UC) and lashing the UC to the hook and using that to practice. The UC is large

enough to undo for weaves that require untying knots. I've used this method to practice and gain some facility in several

weaves.

looks like a simple nymph with black wire ribbing similar to his pupa below

here's the caddis pupa

caddis_pupa.jpg

I don't believe it is a woven abdomen. It's either simply ribbed with a contrasting material, or at the most complicated the abdomen is over-wrapped with contrasting materials (larva lace? turkey biot? ultra wire? anything you want?) copper-john style.

I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot; just ask my wife.

What I do is once the abdomen is tied on I lift it up and make wraps around the shank of the hook until I get to the point if the new section. Wrap three tight wraps then lift the material up again and repeat until you get all the sections you want.

the flies inside the box are probably the "jawbreaker" flies in the video. still looks like wire ribbing to me

mw.jpg

the flies inside the box are probably the "jawbreaker" flies in the video. still looks like wire ribbing to me

right on. from the reflections, I think it is one of the plastic abdomen materials with a wire rib.