Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

Partridge substitue

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if guinea fowl is a good substitute for partridge wet hackle flies. If not what are some viable options? I cannot get any partridge skins or feathers where I am living and I really don't have the money to order any online.

Please keep in mind that the fish DO NOT read our books! Thus, they DO NOT know that a certain soft hackle pattern is supposed to have a partridge hackle on it. Any soft body feather from about any bird will work. The breast feathers from most any breed of chicken will work. (Solid white might be an exception.) So much the better if they are mottled.

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if guinea fowl is a good substitute for partridge wet hackle flies. If not what are some viable options? I cannot get any partridge skins or feathers where I am living and I really don't have the money to order any online.

FishDragon,

Short answer no. Guinea is usually much to big for the purposes of partridge. The colors are not the same nor are the markings. Partridge is finely mottled and you will usually find both browns and almost white black feathers. Now I'm not saying you can't use the guinea for what you are tying, there are ways to get around the bigger feather and guinea is soft enough to be used for the same purposes, but it is not a substitute for partridge. You would be better though with well marked soft grizzly, cree, or an india hen feather. Even teal, mallard, or woodduck would be a better option.

If you would like to. PM me your address and I will send you some partridge.

I tie lots of soft hackles, and use Indian hen a lot. I do have some Partridge skins, but at $30 each, +/-, they can get expensive. Don't buy the bags of loose Partridge - most of the feathers are useless. The Hens are a lot cheaper, and you can get them in a pretty good assortment of colors. Most places carry them now, at a very reasonable price.

Perchjerker is absolutely right - never met a fish that could tell the difference between Partridge and hen. And they can't count, either. :D

as a 1 for 1 substitute for patridge the answer would be no. but as an alternative to partridge the answer would be yes!

fish dont have a brain that counts how many bars are in partridge vs guinea

Grouse and quail would be my first suggestions. Chukar is also an affordable soft-hackle feather.

Thanks for all the replies.

I realized I have some mallard flank and might give that a try but most of the feathers are really big. I went way over my flyfishing/tying budget getting a new reel and line and glasses and tools and odds and ends. I am trying to be responsible as my wife let me know I wasn't very responsible this month.

I am trying to tie some partridge and yellow (orange and green) flies as well as some march brown spiders. My flybox of chronnies (waterproof flambeau) leaked in salt water when I was fishing salt water rainbows and ruined 250+ flies so I am going to restock it but with an assortment of flies from wets - nymphs - to chironomids.

Thanks for all the help again guys.

FishDragon

Rather than trying to wind the large guinea or mallard, just use about 12 to 18 fibers, and size them like you would a tail. Tie them in first and take a soft wrap or two, distribute the barbs all the way around the hook and then wrap your body. Bring the thread up to the eye between some of the hackle fibers, and form a neet head while holding the fibers up. The head should be just large enouth to stand the fibers perpendicular to the hook shank.

If you tie them in right, they will flow back just to the bend of the hook in the current.

I had some Gadwall flank on my desk, so I just whipped up a couple with that. The pictures are a little fuzzy (sorry,) but I think you can see what I mean

post-12074-0-26493400-1315007173_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-38970700-1315007198_thumb.jpg