Fly Tying
MVHagey

Favorite Dun Style

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion, fishing a dun emergence is the apex of fly fishing. Since many styles of flies are used to imitate this stage in a mayflies life, I was wondering what your guys' favorite style is to FISH, not tie.

Well, it depends somewhat on the mayfly species. There are some killer emerger patterns that are species-specific. In general, however, I would go with the parachute style of dun. These flies ride low in the water (like an emerger) and the wing post might very well be viewed by the trout as the adult exiting the nymphal shuck. On the other hand, the trout might just take it as a newly emerged dun ready to take to the air. Either way, parachute duns catch fish!

My vote is for the comparadun. I have fished them successfully for over three decades, both east and west, and on many differet hatches. They are effective, easy to tie, and cheap. No hackle required.

Vote for it then!

Sorry. I didn't notice this was a poll.

No need to apologize, just pointing that out :P

If you see the results, and it says "Delete my vote" under the table, then you may have already voted. You can check the box, and vote again.

I like the Harrop Hairwing dun or in smaller sizes CDC no hackle dun....as far as the choices listed parachutes are good too. Come to think of it all the choices in the poll have their time and place.

I voted for parachutes because I really enjoy tying them and they work great.

Comparaduns would be a close second, again because I enjoy tying them and they work great.

I've had excellent results with no hackles ala Rene Harrop, but I haven't mastered tying them to the point where I enjoy tying them.

Sparkle duns???, if I'm thinking of the correct fly, is basically a comparadun with a zelon shuck. I tie and fish this fly often.

I voted for parachutes because I really enjoy tying them and they work great.

Comparaduns would be a close second, again because I enjoy tying them and they work great.

I've had excellent results with no hackles ala Rene Harrop, but I haven't mastered tying them to the point where I enjoy tying them.

Sparkle duns???, if I'm thinking of the correct fly, is basically a comparadun with a zelon shuck. I tie and fish this fly often.

Yes, the sparkle dun is me referring to a comparadun with a trailing z-lon shuck, I was not sure whether to include it in, but since I included the the quill body, I figured why not because I wanted to have a lot of choices.

My favorite wasnt on the list, but I voted for the closest to it.

The Haystack.....which was around about 10yrs (maybe longer) before the Comparadun.

Of course, but I didn't think the haystack was a dun pattern...