Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Swap idea

I have been thinking of a new swap but need input from others. "Leader Swap". It has been mentioned that with the preference's of many it could be tough to do. What do you think? How could this be done. Oh and I don't need to host if someone else wants to, it's just an idea of mine.

Kevin

I think that sounds like a good idea. I would participate. I guess you could assign different lengths and strengths to people and they can either do a hand tied leader or a furled one. Or you could also assiagn a style of leader to each person such as one for bass, trout, saltwater, salmon, Czech nymph, ect. You may want to have less than 12 leaders because that could take a long time and some people may not want to join but I would e fine with a dozen.

Ok thats a good start. If we do get enought ideas and get a plan who ever would host it I just ask for and invatation to be extended to perchjerker. He has bent over backwards to help me with mine.

Kevin

I'd play. It has been a long time since I last made my own leaders, but I would be able to make them again. I never succeeded in making furled leaders, though.

It's a great idea, let's do this!

Sjo

this would have to be a swap of hand tied or furled leaders (i'm assuming that nobody would be able to make a tapered leader without some sort of major forming equipment in their garage)

ask each swapper to pick a hand tied leader from "leader calc" unless they have something better

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/download.php

eliminate straight mono leaders. anybody can cut off 9 feet of mono from a spool

if furled leaders are in the mix, ask for no duplicate lengths

limit this swap to 6 people to get it started and for better success

just a few ideas

this would have to be a swap of hand tied or furled leaders (i'm assuming that nobody would be able to make a tapered leader without some sort of major forming equipment in their garage)

ask each swapper to pick a hand tied leader from "leader calc" unless they have something better

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/download.php

eliminate straight mono leaders. anybody can cut off 9 feet of mono from a spool

if furled leaders are in the mix, ask for no duplicate lengths

limit this swap to 6 people to get it started and for better success

just a few ideas

IDEAS that's what we are looking for. That way we can get it all together and be on the same page to make it work. I agree no straight mono leaders. I was thinking tied or furled. Explain you thinking about " no duplicate lengths".

Kevin

I might be able to tye up a dozen furled leaders. However, I don't think I agree with the idea of "no duplicate lengths" for furled leaders. I for one would welcome several 5 ft leaders if they were of different weights or different material (ie floating or sinking.) By the way, do we have a swapmeister or what?

I might be able to tye up a dozen furled leaders. However, I don't think I agree with the idea of "no duplicate lengths" for furled leaders. I for one would welcome several 5 ft leaders if they were of different weights or different material (ie floating or sinking.) By the way, do we have a swapmeister or what?

I mentioned before if someone other I wanted to host they could. If not I would. I see it has sparked plenty of thought. So lets get the rules nailed down. I also like a hand full of the same lenght.

#1 No Straight mono leaders.

#2 Furled or tied.

I could do a dozen tied mono leaders

Paul repeat after me "i'm a swapaholic", wait im not done telling them either. :lol: All we need now is crackleback and flytyingfreak. :)

Kevin

I would like to do Czech nimph leaders: ten feet in total with a tapered upper part and a long fluorocarbon straight part with two droppers.

Sjo

I would like to do Czech nimph leaders: ten feet in total with a tapered upper part and a long fluorocarbon straight part with two droppers.

Sjo

That would be new for me. I would need info on how to use it to get all I could out of it.

Kevin