Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ninja115

Thin Skin Alternatives

New to the forum and have only been tying for 3 months. I've decided to give some CJ's a try, and went out and bought all the stuff needed except two things. I still need some hungarian partridge and some thin skin. The local shop didn't have these things........and I don't want to wait a week or so for them to order it if I don't have too. I've got some alternatives for the partridge already from a different post.

Are there any alternatives to Thin Skin? Possibly anything from the local craft store, such as mylar? Can I just fold over a bunch of Flashabou(like 10-16 strands)and just coat that with epoxy? Any help is appreciated.

Also, I haven't seen anything about putting CJ's on a fly turner when using 5-minute epoxy, so I'm gonna guess that it is not needed. But, if I were to use 30-minute epoxy I would have to put them on a turner. Correct?

With thin skin is there a universal color for the CJ? Or, should I try and match it to the color of the wire that I'm using?

Thanks

New to the forum and have only been tying for 3 months. I've decided to give some CJ's a try, and went out and bought all the stuff needed except two things. I still need some hungarian partridge and some thin skin. The local shop didn't have these things........and I don't want to wait a week or so for them to order it if I don't have too. I've got some alternatives for the partridge already from a different post.

Are there any alternatives to Thin Skin? Possibly anything from the local craft store, such as mylar? Can I just fold over a bunch of Flashabou(like 10-16 strands)and just coat that with epoxy? Any help is appreciated.

YES

Also, I haven't seen anything about putting CJ's on a fly turner when using 5-minute epoxy, so I'm gonna guess that it is not needed. But, if I were to use 30-minute epoxy I would have to put them on a turner. Correct?

YES

With thin skin is there a universal color for the CJ? Or, should I try and match it to the color of the wire that I'm using?

Thanks

a narrow strip of black electrical tape would work as an alternative, then your flash material over that. a strip of thin dark foam would work.

tie one with just the flash material overcoated with epoxy and see how it looks

find other items around the house that would be similar to thin skin. use your imagination and experiment. thats what tying is about!

Hello there ninja115.

I am new also to fly tying but you can often use different materials and try many things. Only thing stopping you is your imagination. I have thin skin myself for tying CJ's but have used scud back, plastic sandwich zip - lock bags, medallion sheeting and many other things. I find that most recipes are just what the tier used and had on hand when tying. I would definitely try some flashabou as it will give you some nice flash to your flies.

Some times it is better to experiment and try new things. Recently I read in a magazine about tying elk hair caddis flys with opal mylar for the bodies. I expanded this and used red and pearl as well as a few others and the worked very well. The original pattern called for dubbing but using the flashabou and mylar worked out great.

Also try using some rubber legs when tying CJ's for the tail and feel free to add in some up by the thorax to give it a buggier look. I like to use UNI-Flexx split into two pieces for legs. Much stronger than silli legs and more limp and lifelike in the water.

I have tried using different colored wire as well for CJ's but found copper and red the best colors. Also you could give them a steelie look by using some purple thread as a base (or use flashabou or any tinsel) and using stretchmagic wound over top instead of the wire used for the bodies. Use some colorful UV dub for the thorax and any type of feather for the legs. This will give your copper john a whole new look and if you can fish for steelies should work well. Down side is it won't be as heavy as the original pattern but you can use split shot to sink down to where the fish are. Might tie a few of these myself to try out.

Here is a good link for CJ's

http://midcurrent.com/flies/tying-the-original-copper-john/

In your daily routines keep a lookout for things you may be able to use and try them out, also on here most everyone is very helpful and will point you in the right direction.

I sometimes use plastic bags. You can get a nice variety of colors from different stores (white and red from office depot, gray and blue from lowes and tan from most grocery stores.

I sometimes use plastic bags. You can get a nice variety of colors from different stores (white and red from office depot, gray and blue from lowes and tan from most grocery stores.

Add to that olive green from Cabela's, and yellow from Dollar stores (I think that is where I got it)... and I forget which from Bass Pro.

I use the plastic plate from a cheap clip board for a cutting board (because it is such a handy size) and a really sharp razor knife, and a steel straight edge, it only takes a minute to cut up a pile.

In regards to Copper Johns, there is nothing special about Thin Skin. It's just a synthetic material which is available in dark tones for use as wingcases, and it provides a base on which to apply epoxy. It just happens to be the material Barr specified, and it's what is used commercially. Swiss straw and turkey tail are two more fine alternatives.

What they said.

substituting and looking for alternative materials can be addictive.

As far as the epoxy, the turner-thingies are for getting an even coating of epoxy all the way around, like a popper, or an epoxy ant. For a Copper John, you only place a drop on the top, so you don't need to turn it. Just be sure the fly is more or less level so the epoxy doesn't run where you don't want it. I always use the 5 minute epoxy- guess I'm just impatient.

Buggybob - You mean I now have a use for all my 8-tracks?

well, I'm not Buggybob, but I think you will find the 8 tracks a little wide on most flys. But,.. that stack of casettes, they will tie a heck of a lot of flies. If you don't have any, garage sales, you will be amazed what supplies you find will on the cheap.

Well I've tied up 30 or so in a variety of colors. Thanks for all the help everyone. I haven't tried any with the cut up shopping bags yet, but I have some different colors bags already cut into strips, ready to go for the next set. Here's a pic of some of what I've tied along with a pic of some materials I tried. The Black Pro-Poly Ribbon is easily torn into the smallest pieces and will last a lifetime. I did find some ThinSkin hidden at Gander Mountain......however, I couldn't determine which ones I tied with the black ribbon and which I tied with the ThinSkin. LOL. The Pearl Ribbon I got from the craft store cost me $0.79 and I think I like it all by itself(width cut @ 3/4 hook gap) without anything darker behind it. It really glows, and I can see it shine from 10ft away. Although on the Black CJ a piece of thin skin with a thin sliver of the pearl ribbon looks pretty sweet. The blue ones were the ones I tied first, and after I applied the epoxy, I remembered another thread I read where I said to only mix the epoxy in one direction to avoid bubbles being trapped. Well.....I was excited....and you know what they say about hidsight....lesson learned!

Going Clockwise:

Black = Thin Skin, Pearl Ribbon

Green = Pearl Ribbon, Green Thread (My Favorite)

Chartreuse = Thin Skin, Holographic Pearl Tinsel (Lg.)

Copper = Thin Skin, 2 Strands Pearl Flashabou

Orange = Pearl Ribbon, Yellow Thread

Red = Thin Skin, Pearl Ribon

Hot Pink = Thin Skin, 2 Strands Pearl Flashabou

Blue = Bunch of Pearl Flashabou Strands (would look better without bubbles)

Blue = Holographic Blask Flashabou (my least favorite)

Blue = Pearl Ribbon

Blue = Thin Skin, 2 strands Pearl Flashabou

myflies177.jpg

myflies179.jpg

myflies180.jpg

Any help on how to get the smaller thumbnail type images(that you have to click on) when I post would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Buggybob - You mean I now have a use for all my 8-tracks?

Chase Creek - Start digging in the garage, miles of material waiting to be used.

I don't want to scare you but my brother still has his 8-track recorder !