Fly Tying
Hooked

Dyna King Vise

Getting ready to buy one or the other. Don't want to buy the cheaper vise and find out I made a mistake later. Like to hear from people who are using them.

I like them both actually. The standard Cuda is the tank, where the Jr. is the hummer. LOL. I like the full sized Cuda', mostly because it extends out nicely, and works for my tying style (since I'm a big guy, big hands, and get cumbersome on smaller vises). Have used the Jr Trekker, and really liked that one as well. Seriously thinking of getting one just for my travel kit. So many vises, so little time. LOL.

I was thinking the same thing as I really like the manufacturer. But I couldn't tell if the junior let you stop the rotary at any point or just rotated with no stop. The description of the junior didn't say and I noticed a set knob on the larger model. Any of you with them know?

Thanks

Ted

Hmmmmm, not sure on the rear screw (that's the one that locks the vise from rotating), but do believe there is the tension screw on the side that changes the rotation speed, and also can lock it down so the vise will sit at angles. I only used the one once. But worked fine.

Hooked,

I tie on the 'cuda Jr. Trekker and pretty much love it... Its the first "expensive" vice I've purchased and at a cost of about $160 from Hook&Hackle, it was a perfect upgrade from the old beat up Regal knockoff I'd been previously using.

There is delrin tension knob on the vice but there are no beveled detents to allow stoping the turn at a precise degree... it simply holds where you leave it.

I like the vice alot, and am very pleased with its performance. The push-collate assembly is smooth, and the jaws hold most sized hooks very tightly... there seems to be some problems though once you get down to 18's or smaller.

The only other trouble I've had with vice is when spinning hair or wool on big patterns... The pedestal vice is purty heavy, but the vice wants to keel forward sometimes when exerting extreme downward thread tension... a troublesome trait that a small C-clamp has fixed.

Hope this helps bro, and good luck with your decision.

Nate H.

I do most of my tying on a 'cude with the midge jaws for sizes 14-26. It is well made and a quality tool. I have not tried teh Jr. yet, hope to get my hands on it at the Shos in January.

O.K., thanks for all the input. I bought the Barrcuda today. Won't get a chance to use it until Christmas, my wife has it put away for now. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I'm really new to tying, started it about two months ago. Went to an Orvis dealer and took a class. I retired a year ago last July and love it so I'll have plenty of time to practice. I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Thanks for the help.