Fly Tying
ikerajala

beginings

My camera is for big pictures only,so Here are some larger flies.

post-28940-0-88123900-1315793403_thumb.jpg

Here we have a bead chain matuka.

post-28940-0-63438800-1315793610_thumb.jpg

And here,a lovely popper hand carved from styrofoam found on the beach.

post-28940-0-97005600-1315793783_thumb.jpg

This is a "Gurgler" A frog gurgler I believe.

post-28940-0-31859300-1315793943_thumb.jpg

This is a clouser minnow.It droops from spending so much time in my fly box.

post-28940-0-15596300-1315794139_thumb.jpg

Lastly here is a "spudler minnow"?.It is a muddler variation I learned from this website.It is not exactly a spuddler,but pretty none the less.

Out of all these flies the most producing was the clouser minnow with the spudler being a close second.I didn't catch any bass on the top water flies.I even caught trout on the clouser!!!The clouser is a good fly.I learned all about the clouser from a topic started by jsyzmycz.If I was better with computers I would direct you to that topic from last winter.Before then my clousers Sucked pretty bad.Any way Live and learn, live and learn.

You have some very nice flies, and they all should catch fish; and some obviously have already.

I would, however, encourage you to shorten the tails on most of them, as the overly long tails can result in 'short strikes'. For example, the total length of the Clouser should be about twice the length of the hook. Yours appears to be about three times the hook length. For a true Clouser, it should also have a deer hair belly below the hook shank. I like the flashy body on this one!

I might add that proper body proportions is the second most difficult thing beginning tiers have to cope with; the first being thread control.

Keep up the good work!

My order from J Stockard came in the mail today!!!

I tied up some muddler minnows!!!

I took these pictures out doors with the same camera ,and the results are much better!!!

post-28940-0-60656200-1315943524_thumb.jpg

This muddler has a brown bucktail under wing.

post-28940-0-30917200-1315943793_thumb.jpg

This muddler has a grey squirrel underwing.

post-28940-0-35362100-1315944049_thumb.jpg

Finally this muddler has a underwing of brown maribou.

Now that I see my flies I think you are right about the tails being too long.

post-28940-0-06010400-1322365809_thumb.jpg

I think that my muddler minnow skills have improved greatly.I think I cracked the code.I tied this one tonight after reading the FAOL tutorial.I think it's my best yet what do you Guys/Gals think?

The reason they look backwards is because I trimed the wings and tails with scissors after I tied them in.It probably seems like a stupid move,but thats how they did it in the faol intermediate tying course.I think that if I can find some more turkey feathers I will tie the wings and tail in so the ends are naturual(not clipped).I also think I need to work on my deer hair spinning.The head on this last muddler looks ugly to me.I have some goose feathers,maybe I will use those instead of turkey feathers. :)

Wow thanks for the props!!!

You don't need to limit yourself to turkey feather, or feather slips at all for muddler wings. A very killing fly is a marabou muddler- tied with a wing of your choice of color marabou instead of the traditional/original wing of gray squirrel tail under turkey secondary flight quills.

Nearly all natural materials (feathers, hair) tied as "wings" on flies should be tied so their natural tapered ends remain intact. The fish probably don't care, but fly tyers do.