Fly Tying
Rich Strolis

October Caddis Pupa

Rich,

Thanks for the pattern, looks so buggy it deserves a place in my fly box. I have read for years in fly mags based on the Left Coast about October caddis hatches but never heard anything about them this side of the Big Muddy. You spend more time on the water in a year than I do in twenty, so my chair-bound 'wisdom' takes a back seat.

I have been tying really deadly wets for a long time with most of the same materials you use -- but in a slightly different wrapper. I got the general idea from one of LaFontaine's brilliant books on innnovative patterns. The body material is a homemade, buggy blend of antron clipped short and natural furs spun on loosely, teased out, and then cinched down wtih spiraled coppoer wire -- but lately I started cheating by using commercial wire dubbing brushes; then, a 2 part wing of antron under and rolled grouse over; capped with a sparse soft hackle -- preferably Hungarian partridge -- collar. Colors in olive, dark brown, and gold-tan. sizes 8-14. The latter, inadvertently, might actually have taken a few trout who thought it was an October caddis!

Regards and thanks for all your pattern sharing,

Rocco

Rocco,

here is one similar in nature to what you explain. Classified Caddis PupaI use this guy often and it is my go to pattern for pupa's most of the season. Just alter the color and size and you can imitate any pupa. The construction of the fly is based around the same principle, dubbing brush with different colors of ultra wire to achieve different colors. Works great.

Seeing as how these guys are hatching on my homewaters, I found it to be fitting to put this one up. Enjoy.

October Caddis Pupa

That will fish very well here (Mckenzie River, Oregon). They are large - adults here often 1 1/2 inches long (inc wing). For more info, Arlen Thomason's book "Bugwater" has a chapter on them, including some incredible photos of each stage.

Michael