Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

What to do with pink saddle hackle?

I recently got a bunch of pink, grizzly pink, and purple saddle hackle along with some natural colored saddle hackle from some people who got tired of having te feathers in their hair. I have decided I would die some of the purple black but I have no idea of what flies I can make with the pink ones. The only fly I make now with pink are woolly buggers but I can't use these for that. Any ideas? Thanks

If you fish for bluegill those will produce some good bluegill flies.

Yea I guess they could. Bluegill will go for pretty much anything.

Purple is good for woolly buggers. It's a great alteration that I've had a lot of luck with lately. I imagine the pink would work as well.

Of poppers with lots of color for the ladies of casting for recovery. And if you still don't know what to do with them I will buy them from you.

Tie up some bonefish, redfish & snook flies ! Pink grizzly will make an excellent shrimp pattern & if you ever wondered why flamingos are pink, it's because of their diet & that's what saltwater fish eat! Purple will make nice tarpon flies too !

You can also make poppers. Use them for the hackle behind the popper. I have a friend that makes lots

That's a good idea for the largest feathers. Thanks

Resell them. You don't need them, and you could make a couple bucks by reselling them.

But do they care if the feathers have been worn before?

Of poppers with lots of color for the ladies of casting for recovery. And if you still don't know what to do with them I will buy them from you.

They would make beautiful flies for the Casting for Recovery donation that I just posted :rolleyes: :D

I recently got a bunch of pink, grizzly pink, and purple saddle hackle along with some natural colored saddle hackle from some people who got tired of having te feathers in their hair. I have decided I would die some of the purple black but I have no idea of what flies I can make with the pink ones. The only fly I make now with pink are woolly buggers but I can't use these for that. Any ideas? Thanks

from some people who got tired of having te feathers in their hair. . .

I am hesitant to be too hopeful based on a single report. However, if a few more such reports begin to come in, I may start to think the hackle market may be poised to begin a move in the direction of it's former state.

Pink is one of my favorite colors for the interior of the 'Glades (and any where else with brackish water that's brown colored - world wide....). Here's a few pics that might provide some suggestions...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-79648600-1315915837_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-77586000-1315915864_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-52182300-1315915892_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-56904900-1315915918_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-52640400-1315915943_thumb.jpg

I agree with Capt Bob, pink is one of the best colors for the salt. A large portion of my flies have pink somewhere in them. A pink or electric chicken deceiver is deadly and would probably do well in freshwater as well.