Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Hare's ear nymph

After numerous attempts, I think I finally got this one down. It took me a long time to figure out how to get the shape right, I kept trying to add bulk by laying the dubbed thread over on itself but when I just built up a thread under body, it came together nicely. I may pick out the dubbing a little more to make it a little more buggy, but other than that, any thing else I can do to improve it?

post-34851-0-30121200-1315953346_thumb.jpg

it is a nice fly and it will certainly catch fish, but a traditional gold ribbed hares ear is not tied with goose biot tail and has a rib of gold wire or gold round tinsel and is basically hares ear in color

check out this excellent tutorial

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/patterns/gold-ribbed-hares-ear/

it is a nice fly and it will certainly catch fish, but a traditional gold ribbed hares ear is not tied with goose biot tail and has a rib of gold wire or gold round tinsel and is basically hares ear in color

check out this excellent tutorial

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/patterns/gold-ribbed-hares-ear/

I know, I chose goose biot for the tail because I do not have a mask to pick guard hairs off of and I just haven't been very satisfied with my other tail materials that I have tried. There is a gold wire there, its hard to see. I think for this size, I should have used the next size up in wire.

I am quite familiar with some prairie ponds in Wyoming where if it ain't this shade green, and tied on a #6 hook, you ain't gonna catch nothin'.

The short story is that the Hare's Ear is an excellent damsel fly nymph imitation, and these ponds are teeming with damsel fly nymphs, all of which are green.

I was humbled on one of these ponds one day as I could not buy a fish, even though I was using a green GRHE to match the damsel fly nymphs. An elderly gentleman from the nearby town was catching fish so regularly, there should have been a law against it. He finally called it a day and sauntered by me on his way out and asked what I was using. I showed him. Hew immediately said that they are too small but that they were the right color and that I need them on #6 or 8 hooks, and told me to go into town and get some on #6 hooks and that I would catch fish. I followed his advice, and immediately started catch 12-16 inch rainbows when I got back.

The GRHE is as much a style of nymph as it is a specific pattern; so, use whatever colors that tend to mimic the local bugs that they might resemble.

I am quite familiar with some prairie ponds in Wyoming where if it ain't this shade green, and tied on a #6 hook, you ain't gonna catch nothin'.

The short story is that the Hare's Ear is an excellent damsel fly nymph imitation, and these ponds are teeming with damsel fly nymphs, all of which are green.

I was humbled on one of these ponds one day as I could not buy a fish, even though I was using a green GRHE to match the damsel fly nymphs. An elderly gentleman from the nearby town was catching fish so regularly, there should have been a law against it. He finally called it a day and sauntered by me on his way out and asked what I was using. I showed him. Hew immediately said that they are too small but that they were the right color and that I need them on #6 or 8 hooks, and told me to go into town and get some on #6 hooks and that I would catch fish. I followed his advice, and immediately started catch 12-16 inch rainbows when I got back.

The GRHE is as much a style of nymph as it is a specific pattern; so, use whatever colors that tend to mimic the local bugs that they might resemble.

Wow, 6 or 8? I thought this was big on a 12.

The trout in this area of Wyoming like their flies on the large size. Fishing anything smaller than an 18 for tricos is a waste of time!

Nice looking fly there, liking the colours! Biot tails dont work for me but that is just a personal thing, I prefer something with a bit of movement to it some nice hen hackle or something. Colour is spot on for damsel nymphs and some of the larger olives and I am sure it will be an awesome pond fly!

If you would like to add a nice leg effect try folding the thorax cover back at the head so the tips of the PT fibres form some legs, seems to work nicely on the rivers here in the UK.

Dan

looks good to me the funnest part of fly tying is taking a known pattern and customising it for your home waters. if you dont have a mask to take guard hairs from squirrel tail works well i use pine squirrel but thats because they only cost me a 22 shell. use a grey HE dubbing and the larger sizes make a decent stone fly nymph. add pearl mylar to the wing case for added attraction.

Looks good. A cheap little tool you can make is get some popsicle sticks and some two part velcro with a sticky glue back. Take the hook part of the velcro and stick it to the stick - depending on the size you get you could probably make two by cutting it down the middle.

Use that little homemade tool to pick out the dubbing to make it look a little buggier. If you want the shell back to look shiny put some Sally Hansons on it but you don't have to.

Keep em coming.

Fatman