Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

Just bought Bugwater

Has anyone on here read Bugwater?

If so what are your thoughts?

I primarily fish for trout and I am not very good with the entomology side of it. So I am hoping this book will help. I am just getting into drys and even though when I am fishing and may snag one out of the air I am not sure what it is or how to imitate it. Hope this book will help me with my days n the water trying to match hatches.

If I were giving a fly-fisher or fly tier two books, "Bugwater" would be one of them. I suppose I should say that the author lives about 20 miles upriver, so many of the exceptional bug photos were taken on my home water, and most directly applicable to western anglers, but allowing for that, an excellent book.

Michael

Bugwater is a great book. Fantastic photos and great information on bug life-cycles and behavior. I would couple it with a hatch-guide relevent to where you fish. Something like Hatch Guide for Western Streams or similar. That would give you a quick reference in addition to the more detailed information.