Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brown Bomber

Artistic salmon flies

I plan on trying my hand at artistic salmon flies and I would like to know how thick the wing strip should be from top to bottom. I married a couple of slips together and I got a wing that is about 3/4 of an inch from top to bottom. Is that going to be to big to tie on if so what is a good size to try.

I'm no expert but the wing on full dressed salmon flies usually are equal or close to equal the hook gap but the true proportions depend on the tail and roof remember the point of the wing is supose to come to the point in which the tail and roof meet

I plan on trying my hand at artistic salmon flies and I would like to know how thick the wing strip should be from top to bottom. I married a couple of slips together and I got a wing that is about 3/4 of an inch from top to bottom. Is that going to be to big to tie on if so what is a good size to try.

I like to think of it in more of a "fiber count" rather rather than width in inches. 20-24 fibers is a good place to start and 15-20 will be even easier. 3/4" is a pretty big wing and you may have trouble mounting it, if it is your first one....but go for it!!

As mentioned, it really depends on the hook you are using as far as proportions go. I find that if the wing is as thick as the gape of the hook, the fly will look top heavy once you add a roof and a topping or two.

Frank