Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Fly Fishing Superstitions?

Twice this year my father has found a four leafed clover when just getting out of the truck in the morning. The first time he landed his biggest Smallmouth of the season measuring 17". The second time I had hooked probably my biggest Smallmouth of the season which I fought for at least 5 minutes with it screaming my 5wt's drag until spitting the hook!

My question is are you superstitious when it comes to fly fishing? Believe in good or bad luck? I never did but I'm starting to change my mind. Now I make my dad walk down to the stream blindfolded wink.gif

So mean to Pops.....but I do have one thing to share, maybe not a superstition, but just somwthing weird.

There a little stretch of the Dix River that I love to fish. It's back country and a rough hike, but its more than worth the effort. But before you get to my honey hole there is a place on the river that you have to wade up through because there is no path on either bank. It's not far, just about 75 yards or so, but it's very eerie. When you pass through this section,, you can't hear the birds singing. You can't hear the water in the riffle ahead. You can't feel the breeze blowing, although you can see it in the trees and brush. It's almost a feeling of deadness. I felt it the very first time I hiked through it and never told anyone, afraid I was just being silly. My brother got the same feeling the first time he went through this stretch, and I had never mentioned it to him. I later found from some of the locals that they don't fish that far up the river because of the bad mojo. Noone can really explain it, but damn if its not weird as hell. I may have dismissed it as superstition myself, if I had not experienced it before i heard about it from the locals. It sounds foolish, but I aome out of there well before dark. It's just that damn spooky.

Pops deserves it! He's been catching bigger and more fish than me sad.gif

Luck of the irish I tell you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this