Fly Tying
FishDragon

Salmon fly or steel head fly. Not sure.

Was out salmon fishing today and had a fly I picked up somewhere. It looked like a Max canyon but with an orange throat and hackle, tail but with front of the body black and the back half pink. I think it had silver tinsel ribbing. Any help would be great.

It worked for a nice big 30+inch female salmon as well. Chafed the fish off so I lost the fly. Was using my 5wt classic trout rod from Reddington. :)

It's a fly that will work for both species. Sounds like a cross between a few different hairwings. Not sure if it is an exact pattern. I'm sure if you tie something close to what you remember it will work just as well.

I went back to the store and bought a fly for reference. It is called a same thing murray. Was wrong about the tail and the wrap but close.

imgp0308d.jpg

I didn't tie that fly just put it in the vise to hold it for the pic. It has orange hackle and orange craft fur for a wing. Yellow craft fur for the tail. The ribbing is looks like medium gold oval tinsel. The body is pink floss with a tag end acting as an underwing and bronze peacock herl as the front half of the body.

Here is a pic of me fighting the salmon that took this fly. All done on a 5wt.

imgp0295l.jpg

He took me all the way out into my backing than chafed me off on some rocks. It was just finished doing a backflip and all we caught was the splash.

I think you are going to need a bigger net! Looks like fun and nice fly there, hmmz

I think you are going to need a bigger net! Looks like fun and nice fly there, hmmz

That is the first thing I thought of.....

The shop I bought it at called the fly a "Same Thing Murray" but is doesn't have the right colors but it is tied the same way. Over here in the fall alot of shops and tiers will take a pattern and add steel head colors for fall salmon fishing. I now refer to the fly as a fall colored Same Thing Murray.

3 casts till I hooked up on a nice salmon, than he ran me way into my backing before chafing me off.