Fly Tying
rockworm

Can you ID the author?

Before I identify this author I will offer one last quote:

"These nymphs are gregarious and congregate together in rather sizable colonies. Leptophlebia nymphs also display the habit of migration just before emergence, moving in schools like tiny fish, swimming slowly upstream in the slack currents along the shoreline. Such colonies may number more than a hundred nymphs and travel as much as a mile."

Congratulations, bigdewey! The first quotes were from Schweibert's first book, Matching the Hatch. The last two were from his seminal masterpiece, Nymphs, A Complete Guide to Naturals and Imitations. Bigdewey- please PM an address for your prize.

I hope the third author will be easier to identify:

"You will occasionally spin a body that is not well done. Throw it away. Good enough is not good enough for a conscientious flytyer. Make your bodies perfect and have the satisfaction of knowing they are perfect. The body is the most important part of a wet fly."

Maybe another quote might help:

" The color of the tying silk should be chosen to harmonize with the body materials you intend to use in imitating a particular insect, keeping in mind the undercolor which you wish to show out through and reflect from the dubbing or body of your completed fly."

Dave Hughes

" The color of the tying silk should be chosen to harmonize with the body materials you intend to use in imitating a particular insect, keeping in mind the undercolor which you wish to show out through and reflect from the dubbing or body of your completed fly."

James Leisenring

Dave Hughes

Indeed- Shad did nail it. Both quotes are from The Art of Tying The Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph by James E Leisenring and Vernon S Hidy. Shad, please PM your address to receive your wax.

Here is a quote from our fourth author. His style is so distinctive I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets it from such a short excerpt.:

"I think size is the single most important thing about a fly, followed by shape and color, in that order. If I'm going to get caught short, I'd rather have the wrong fly in the right size than the other way around."