Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Split thread dubbing,

Which thread have you all found best for doing split thread dubbing, brands and sizes please? I do quite a bit of dubbing, but so far, I've not done the split thread technique but would like to start. I use loops and spinning dubbing on the thread.

I've tried separating the thread but what I have doesn't really want to split easily for insertion of materials.

I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!!

Ray

Marc Petijean markets a couple of colours of thread, designed specifically for this purpose. Whitewater Flies sells them for about $4 each.

I have used Danville Flymaster 6/0 and Benecchi 12/0. Bonded threads like Uni don't work so well.

Ray:

The Danville threads all will lay 'flat' if properly untwisted. When they are untwisted, it is a very simple process to 'split' the fibers. If the label says "FLAT WAXED", they will work. If not so labeled, they are more often than not a 'twisted' thread thus near, if in fact not, impossible to get to lay flat and 'open up' as needed.

The Danville threads all will lay 'flat' if properly untwisted. When they are untwisted, it is a very simple process to 'split' the fibers. If the label says "FLAT WAXED", they will work. If not so labeled, they are more often than not a 'twisted' thread thus near, if in fact not, impossible to get to lay flat and 'open up' as needed.

Thanks you again; always great information and knowledge.

Thanks, also to eveyone else. I appreciate knowing those brand names!!

Ray

I use Hends Twist tread and a dubbing twister.

I find using a thin tread and a dubbing twister even better than splitting any tread.

Terje

I find using a thin tread and a dubbing twister even better than splitting any tread.

Terje,

This is what I have been doing. And, its worked well. I just thought the split thread method looked good and the use of less thread would allow a smaller fly.

Ray

Terje,

This is what I have been doing. And, its worked well. I just thought the split thread method looked good and the use of less thread would allow a smaller fly.

Ray

I understand, Ray. I have however used split tread lots of times but every time i go back to the dubbing twister as i find it

easier to work with and i can´t say i get smaller bodies with split tread anyway :)

Terje

I like the Flymaster "Plus" thread, it is about 210 denier but for split thread dubbed bodies, it is great. Something you want to pay attention to when doing this is that when you're untwisting the thread, you stop it before it starts twisting in the other direction. I usually watch it close and don't spin it to fast. As it gets near untwisted, the once single strand will look like an open spiral twist kind of like the old spinning barber shop sign/symbol. When it gets like that, it is almost flat and untwisted. To help see the flat, I take my bodkin as it slowly spins and untwists and put it behind the hanging thread and bring it towards me so that the thread and bobbin are hanging over the needle/bodkin. The bobbin keeps it taught and the thread up agains the smooth needle's surface will flatten out, if you move the needle up towards the fly, as the thread passing over the needle flattens out, any twist will push up towards the fly making it evident whether or not you need to keep untwisting or if you went to far in the other direction.

Also, once untwisted, I find laying the thread over my finger with the bobbin hanging holding tension makes the thread flatten nicely over my finger where I can take the bodkin and select the center of the flat thread pretty easily.

I don't know if any of that made sense or not, I could show you in a milisecond what I'm talking about but to write it...

Kirk

I don't know if any of that made sense or not, I could show you in a milisecond what I'm talking about but to write it

It made sense!

I've been using Danville's Flat-waxed Thread 210 for split-thread dubbing. As noted above, I'm not sure that you see a significant reduction in body size though.