Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

How to get static electricity off profile plate?

So I got a profile plate two weeks ago and it has been awesome, but now it has picked up some static electricity and whenever I clip a light material like thread or marabou it flies onto the profile plate and is kind of hard to wipe off. How can I get the static electricity off the profile plate? Thanks in advance.

I don't think I could tie without a profile plate. Never had the static problem, but what Sawcat suggested sounds like it would work, or try rubbing it with a dryer sheet.

The dryer sheet works quite well... I use one for several weeks before needing to replace it. I use it mostly to help control unruly hanks of fine flash material (Flashabou, etc.). I'll give the material a couple of light strokes and it settles right down. I also make a point of rubbing my hands with it when static is a problem.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

adding humid air (with a humidifier) to your tying area may also help

less humidity = dryer air = more static electricity

flytire, you are dead on! Static electricity is the pathology technician's worst enemy. One of the first things a person making paraffin sections of tissue for pathological examination learns is to keep a flask of water on a small electric heater in close proximity to the microtome with just enough heat applied to keep the water 'fuming'.

PS: Don't ask me how I know!

flytire, you are dead on! IT WILL HELP! Static electricity is the pathology technician's worst enemy. One of the first things a person making paraffin sections of tissue for pathological examination learns is to keep a flask of water on a small electric heater in close proximity to the microtome with just enough heat applied to keep the water 'fuming'.

PS: Don't ask how I know this!

Hi group,

Gretchen & I use both Static Guard and Dryer Sheets to keep static electricity under control. Controling static electricity is really important for all aspects of fly tying and especially when tying hair-wing flies. Take care & ...