Fly Tying
JJD

Getting ready for FL Largemouth Season

I live far enough south that things are almost opposite of the northern portions of the country. Most of the big bass that I've caught have all been in late Fall through Spring. Afetr that things get too hot with water temps in the mid-80s. For most of the year water temps are so high that largemouth are pretty lethargic except for very early morning or late evening. You can catch them all of the time, but the big ones seem to get active here in South Florida when the water temps start moving towards the low 70s.

My neighborhood lake produces solid numbers of double digit fish every year. So this year, I'm going big. These are all based on pike flies with a few tweaks. Dubbed arctic fox in front of the saddles (props to Simon Graham's Widow Angel series). The collars are reverse bucktail, but after tying in the bucktail,I tie in palmer chenille, and dubbed angel hair, before folding the bucktail back. This give some nice flash and movement beneath the collar. They are all between 6" and 8". Eyes are locked in with CCG.

post-4245-0-33656400-1320202268_thumb.jpg post-4245-0-12586000-1320202936_thumb.jpg

When you tie in reverse bucktail don't worry about the aggressive flair. They smooth out perfectly once they are wet.

post-4245-0-49399700-1320203388_thumb.jpg

Here's one around 29" from late spring last year.

post-4245-0-49190200-1320202796_thumb.jpg

Sweet flies. You are lucky living near a place with such big bass. I love to catch a big honkin' bass...hehehe.

Look great! I would bet they'll work well on Peacock Bass too! Great colors for them!

Do you tie any in natural baitfish colors?

I tie a few in natural colors - white/green back, white/grey back. In smaller sizes the funky colors work OK.

Regarding peacocks, I used to live on the canal used by Florida FWC for the pilot-study for their introduction. They LOVE red/orange/gold.

Great looking flies. I agree that those in those fire tiger-ish colors would slay the peacocks in the residential lakes and canals around the turnpike system. They look like they ride just sub-surface. Do you ever weight any of them with wire?

Wow, great flies, and great fish. Do you fish primarily sub-surface? I usually focus on the surface flies, have never really worked sub-surface flies very hard so I've had limited success with them. Good luck in bass season, post some more pics of he big boys you catch!

Tom

A few years ago I started tossing a sinking line quite a bit and I haven't looked back. I typiaclly carry a #7 or 8 WF floater and a Teeny 350 full sinker on another #8 when I go out. I really enjoy fishing a big fly on a deep line. My neighborhood lake has some holes that drop from four foot shallows to 20. A full sinking line allows you to really work the edges and deep spots with some patience.

A few years ago I started tossing a sinking line quite a bit and I haven't looked back. I typiaclly carry a #7 or 8 WF floater and a Teeny 350 full sinker on another #8 when I go out. I really enjoy fishing a big fly on a deep line. My neighborhood lake has some holes that drop from four foot shallows to 20. A full sinking line allows you to really work the edges and deep spots with some patience.

I have some sinking lines, 9 wt sinking #2 and a #4 I use on 8wt rods. The #4 sinker I have for striper fishing, the #2 I intended for bass. I've thrown a variety of subsurface flies with the #2, large rubber leg wooly buggers, some EP bluegill flies, clousers, jig type patterns, etc. Caught a few fish but not enough for me to really stick with it. I fish the California Delta, which has some great topwater action, so that's what I focus on. Thanks for the response and good luck; I'd love to try the bass in South Florida sometime.

Tom

Great looking fly, never thought of using bright colors and flash for a bass fly. I've always thought top-water action and using something that pops, rattles or gurgles.

As far as bass fishing goes, most of the time you'll do better with subsurface flies, they just respond better to them. Most of the ones I've caught have been on natural prey colored subsurface flies. There are times when bright colors will work, so having some flies with bright colors is always a good idea. I have some really bright stuff (neon chartreuse, hot pinks, fire oranges) in my boxes that are more like the Steelhead or Alaska guys might use, and sometimes they work very well for bass. Actually, some of those flies are the same patterns that the Steelhead & Alaska guys use! :rolleyes:

But, I also prefer topwater stuff, it's a lot more fun when they explode on them! :lol:

very nice fly!

it should catch any big predator fish.

if you guys like to see the bite most topwater guys do try an intermediate line.

they fish just below the surface you can track your fly and see the fish coming.

Very nice tie! May have to give that a go in black and blue for a little night action around the rip rap and the flooded timber on a June night. Love the wet profile this thing has. Screams "EAT ME"

Very nice tie! May have to give that a go in black and blue for a little night action around the rip rap and the flooded timber on a June night. Love the wet profile this thing has. Screams "EAT ME"

? Who are you ? LOL Long time so see/ hear from...Seen the occasional post from "mini" and the "boss" (wife)...beginning to think they locked you up with your "clients"... :lol: