Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Tenkara

Chris, I see small stream limitations, too. I fish WV a lot, and in the spring when the streams are flowing well, you could easily get away with 13' of line on a Tenkara rod. I can generally get pretty close to where fish are holding and make short, accurate casts to them. However, those same small streams at lower levels with very little flow in the summer-fall I think you'd have to be very lucky to get close enough to fish with a tenkara rod. When the long flat pools have fish stacked in them, it's typically long casts with tiny dries to get on them. And the fish are so spooky that getting into tenkara range would seem very difficult (if not impossible in some situations).

Cream,

I have used my 11 ft on crystal clear that you can step across in the high elevations of the Gallatin range as well as Brookie water here in GA and the GSMNP. You just have to be stealthy. Tenkara was developed in Japan by commercial fisherman for small fast running mountain streams. That being said they used rods that were 14 to 15 ft long, maybe longer. There are limitation but there are also limitations on western style rods..

Also the good thing is you don't have to spend money on a reel and the line is pretty much the price of a good leader.

And the leaders get even cheaper when you start furling your own leaders

well that's true and I do furl some leaders and you can also furl a tenkara line pretty easily because it's pretty much just a little longer than a normal leader or you could just go with a level line too which is pretty much free...

Good Day,

I have been practicing Tenkara for many years now. It is a "simple" technique that kind of reminds me of high stick nymphing. Back in the day the rods were made of bamboo. The traditional flies are certainly unique and work here in the US, even though I sometimes use more traditional Western flies on the end of my line. If you can't afford a Tenkara rod, at least to try it you can substitute with a telescoping bream or bluegill rod. But they are a bit heavier and could tire you out. Long story short, it works and I would suggest trying it.

Steelie

Dear bluegill,

sorry for dissing tenkara in the first post.Cutting a willow would probably not be a solution.Willows don't usually grow to the lengths that tenkara rods are manufactured.Besides the willow would be far too large and tiring.

sorry

isaac

Chris, I see small stream limitations, too. I fish WV a lot, and in the spring when the streams are flowing well, you could easily get away with 13' of line on a Tenkara rod. I can generally get pretty close to where fish are holding and make short, accurate casts to them. However, those same small streams at lower levels with very little flow in the summer-fall I think you'd have to be very lucky to get close enough to fish with a tenkara rod. When the long flat pools have fish stacked in them, it's typically long casts with tiny dries to get on them. And the fish are so spooky that getting into tenkara range would seem very difficult (if not impossible in some situations).

Cream,

I have used my 11 ft on crystal clear that you can step across in the high elevations of the Gallatin range as well as Brookie water here in GA and the GSMNP. You just have to be stealthy. Tenkara was developed in Japan by commercial fisherman for small fast running mountain streams. That being said they used rods that were 14 to 15 ft long, maybe longer. There are limitation but there are also limitations on western style rods..

With all due respect, if my choice is between making a 40' cast with my 3wt or belly crawling through rocks in rattlesnake country to get within reach of a tenkara rod, I'll take my limited and complex western 3wt! :D ;)

My buddy that I fish with a lot,uses a tenkara rod,He started fly fishing on that thing,it is fun for him,that is what is about right.I gave it a go a few times,it's cool,but I am sticking with rod and reel,I love shooting line.The cool thing is he can move through the brush faster,when I am stuck in it with my 9 footer.Fishing is fishing,as long as we get out on the water and have fun.By the way bluegill are a blast on that thing.

Good Day,

I have been practicing Tenkara for many years now. It is a "simple" technique that kind of reminds me of high stick nymphing. Back in the day the rods were made of bamboo. The traditional flies are certainly unique and work here in the US, even though I sometimes use more traditional Western flies on the end of my line. If you can't afford a Tenkara rod, at least to try it you can substitute with a telescoping bream or bluegill rod. But they are a bit heavier and could tire you out. Long story short, it works and I would suggest trying it.

Steelie

Back when I was first trying to find information about tenkara, which would have been 2007 or 2008, the only post on any forum I could find that even mentioned tenkara was yours, saying that you were using it very effectively following a shoulder injury. Good to hear you're still doing it. And you are exactly right. It works.