Fly Tying
Toirtis

Vise Questions

OK, I am in some serious need of a new, better vise. I am interested as to your thoughts on best ones to consider, and ones to avoid, and why.

I am on a budget, so although the Petitjean and LAW vises are perhaps fabulous, they are well outside of the range I have to spend.

Three that I have been giving some serious consideration to, are the Peak, the Montana Blackfoot Mongoose, and the Montana Mongoose.

If you have some time, I would recommend reading this topic. A ton of thoughts on the pros and cons of almost every vise ever made: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4319

Thanks, I did, but since most of the posts are over a year old, I wanted some more current opinions on current products.

I tie on a Dan-Vice right now. I have had to modify the jaws, as 2 sets of them have flared, either due to over cranking on my part or shoddy materials used in production. The last time it happened I "Dremeled" the pointy jaw to a rounded shape and have had NO problems since. So while they have served me well for the money , my next vise WILL be an HMH!.....(someday)

I should probably add that my budget is between $150-$300, but I might be persuaded to go as high as $350, if a convincing argument can be made.

If you have a shop in your area go and check out what they have and see if they will let you try a few. I have an anvil apex and quite happy with it. I have looked at the peak and it is a nice vice. A good vice will last you a long time. Any one of the main brands out there are very good. If I were to switch brands,I would buy a Norvise, but again that is a personal choice. it is ultimately what works for you and your budget. the nice thing about the Anvil, is it is good quality and the price is even better. If your looking for something comparable to the peak vise, Anvil does have a new vise out that is quite similar.

http://anvilusa.com/fly.htm

I would also look at the Jvice from South Africa. Jay has put together a solid top to bottom product with some neat features. It will be the only one you ever buy. http://www.jvice.com/

his products are not inexpensive, but they will last you for years.

Marc

I would also look at the Jvice from South Africa. Jay has put together a solid top to bottom product with some neat features. It will be the only one you ever buy. http://www.jvice.com/

his products are not inexpensive, but they will last you for years.

Marc

Now I hate you...I thought that my mind was reasonably made up, but that is the most beautiful vise I have ever seen...I may just have to seriously rethink things, and save a few more months, as what I want from him will double my current budget.

You should take a good look at the type of flies you will be tying. You have a large spectrum of vises available in your price range. I'm a bit spoiled in that I learned to tie on a peak vise and it is great. I recently upgraded to a HMH which in a way is an improvement and in a way not. Im having to relearn some techniques. If you do decide on a peak you will not be sad. Anything you want to tie can be easily done on the peak espically with the midge jaws if thats your type of fly. The rotary function is a bit less than smoothe but perfectly functional and the base is the tits. I am sitting in my camper as I write his tying flies on an HMH mounted on the peak base becasue its down right the best pedial base out there. Bottom line if your tying flies between #2 and #24 its the best price point in my opinion. You can do better but it will cost you a hell of a lot more.

Go to your local fly shop and sit down with their demo vises and tie some flies. Then buy the vise YOU like best and suits your tying style

I have a Peak & a Regal and I find I use the Peak more often. There is no denying that the J-Vise is great looking, but for $150 you can get the Peak and have a lot left over for materials....

If you do decide on a peak you will not be sad. Anything you want to tie can be easily done on the peak espically with the midge jaws if thats your type of fly. Bottom line if your tying flies between #2 and #24 its the best price point in my opinion. You can do better but it will cost you a hell of a lot more.

The Peak is currently at the top of my <$200 choices...I just need to decide how much I want to spend, and how long I am willing to wait to buy.

Go to your local fly shop and sit down with their demo vises and tie some flies. Then buy the vise YOU like best and suits your tying style

Thanks...I actually have tied on a couple dozen different vises over the past 30 years, so I have a pretty good idea of what vise design feels good, and many of the features that I like....but...this whole thread is about others reviews and thoughts so that I am more confidant in my choice, as well as getting some exposure to some makes that I am unfamiliar with. There are dozens of vises out there, but local shops here carry only perhaps 10-12 models, so my ability to physically preview currently available vises is limited.

I have a Peak & a Regal and I find I use the Peak more often. There is no denying that the J-Vise is great looking, but for $150 you can get the Peak and have a lot left over for materials....

Certainly a dilemma, and although I would like more materials, I already have enough to fill a steamer trunk. I must admit to a certain amount of 'vise-dazzle', and apart from a perfect tying-fit, and excellent quality, I want my vise to appeal to me aesthetically as well....after all, I will probably be tying on this vise for the next three or four decades.

Do yourself a favour and buy the JVICE. It will be the best decision you could make. I have had one for a year and it is the best fishing purchase I have ever made (including my favourite rods). To stay in budget I would advise buying the vice without the base. I bought a broken vice off ebay to get the c clamp and that's what I use to go to my tying club, rather than lug the base around. I would definitely advise upgrading to the pro jaws (extra $10 I think)and make sure you get the articulating bobbin rest rather than the standard one.

You can always get a base later, and all the other stuff as well. I have had placed 2 orders since I bought the vice originally and am looking at the tube fly attachment for Christmas!

I originally bought an anvil apex thinking it would last me and it is currently on ebay! Spend a bit more at the start and have it for life.

I'm using a DanVise and have tied many many flys at this time.

But hear this. I have recently started doing something that makes a lot of sense. When I was a tool maker years ago we used a trick to hold hard materials in the toolmaker vises. We put paper between the tool steel and the vise jaws. It took a few hook grabs to get the trick down but now I place a magic object between my hook and my jaws. It does four amazing things. It gives me incredible grip on my hooks, let me say that again, I said incredible. It does not do ANY HARM TO ANY JAWS. It does not mark or harm the hook. It prevents me from cutting my thread or tensil on the hook point. That magic object is a small piece of the semi-hard tough clear plastic like most small store bought products come packaged in to prevent shop lifting. I cut a few pieces about 1/8" X 3/8" and fold them in half. Then I slip the hook bend in between the layers of the folded plastic and then put the sandwich into the vise. I have learned to trim that top corner so it isn't in the way and clamp in such a way that my hook point is not exposed outside the plastic. You will quickly figure out your own shape to make them which is best for you. I got the idea by watching some of the masters tie show class streamers using something similar for protecting the hooks from marks. I was so impressed with the grip using less vise stress that I now do that on every fly I tie. The cold fact is we are holding hardened hooks with hardened jaws... this is why we have various jaw problems.... hook after hook after hook until the jaws pay for it.

You owe to yourself to play around with it at least once. At first it is a little cluttzy. Remember, nothing is easy the first time. This gets just as easy as not using the sandwich combo in a few flys.

post-34916-0-11982900-1321418544_thumb.jpg