Fly Tying
petelangevin

Tube fly adaptor

What do you use? and any recommendations? I have the hmh adaptor with 4 needles. But i see that many of the newer brands use the tapered needles. Have you tried the aftermarket needles in the hmh vise or would i be better off spending the 20 for the eumer adaptor which has the tapered needles included.

Also i hear about people tying on qtip tubes. I know those can get brittle. if i was to look for tubing from other sources what material should i focus on, teflon , pfte or something else.

Thanks Pete

For better tubinf go to Napa auto parts and ask for air brake tubing. Qtip tubing is to thin to hold up well. As the adapters, i use dedicated tube vises so cant help you on that.

:ph34r: Hello Pete. You can get tubing at a good price now days. Here's what I use and it's priced right HMH fly tyer's tubes. It's $4.80 and it includes tubes and junction tube. Can get them on line or from your local fly fishing store. Hope this helps. Tight lines.

GrizzlyBear

Another thing about the HMH...

If you get the mirco size, you can use traditional cones

Rather than buying the crazy priced "tube cones"

I will check them out. What can i use to cut them to lenght without crushing the end of the tube.

For plastic, I use a straight razor; lay the tube on your cutting surface and apply situate the blade for cutting through the tube. Apply slight pressure to the blade and roll the tube along the surface for a nice smooth cut with no burrs on the outside. Now, with a sharp blade, you can sometimes just push straight through the tube for a clean cut but sometimes you'll have a little plastic burr on the outside bottom of the tube.

For metal, I use a fiberglass reinforced, small, cutoff wheel on my dremel.

Kirk

I currently use the HMH tube adapter with a tapered needle. Don't buy special tapered needles. I once bought a needle called Hakan Norling's Needle and it cost £5 (about $8). Then I realised I could buy Felting Needles from a haberdashery for about 50p (less than a dollar) and they are almost exactly the same!

I bought a bunch of brass tubing (1/8 " outside diameter x 12" long) from "Small Parts" , an online company. They shipped them to me in a clear hard plastic tube with nice caps on each end. Anyway the tubing will be perfect for tube flies and can be cut with a Dremel and flared with plumber's tools. I also got a bunch of 1/16 outside diameter brass , but I can't remember why I ordered this size....old age sucks!! :lol:

http://www.smallparts.com/

I will second Smallparts.com as i order large quantity of brass tubing from them. They have been great people to order from and fast to.