Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

The weather here is still awfull and this afternoon more snow is forecast so I grabbed a quick hour fishing. Used my spinning rod that was in the car so sorry not a fly caught fish but managed 2 skinny Sea trout. Hopefully when the weather finally warms these fish will start packing on some pre spawn weight and hit the flies.

post-42518-0-46673600-1367585331_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-78922500-1367585364_thumb.jpg

Ahhh Interesting! These are drop back fish? As in they went to spawn in the rivers and are heading back to sea? Or they are just putting on condition now? Quite pretty!

These are fish that are coming in from the sea and are sitting around the estuary putting on a little more pud before they push up river. We are about 2months behind due to poor weather and low temps so more and more fish will appear right through till Aug time, hopefully filling out some more as the bait appears in numbers.

Normally there are tons of sandeels and small fish about but its just devoid at the moment. These hit a 3inch narrow spoon close in and I can't wait to have longer and get the intruders out. I am going to stick big this year and try and land one of the double figure fish that swim around.

I was just thinking it looks like they would take a pretty decent streamer of the baitfish variety, you use the double handed stripping or they like it slower? With the intruders i think they are designed more for swinging through different speed currents but it could work?

The current really pulls through this particular stretch, upto 18knots in the main flow and the trout hit the bait 9 times out of 10 at the end of a swing as it turns into the shallower slower water. I think the truders should work nicely. And yes they love to chase so the quicker the better generally. I normally figure of eight during the swing to keep it that little bit faster then strip hard on the turn but thats when they BANG.

Had a quick play at the vice when I got back and this was the first effort. I think I will scrap the body dressing and build up a more tapered profile with synthetics on the next ones.

post-42518-0-45793600-1367607257_thumb.jpg

Damn sounds like there is quite a bit of current, they will swing nicely! No idea about this coastal fishing you guys have but keep us posted!

This one spot is not the norm. It is a huge shallow flood plain that fills up each tide then empties through the narrow (ish) neck and causes the flow to really pick up.

Not sure this will work but https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=little+ferry+golspie&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

I stand basically where the A is and around there.

This one spot is not the norm. It is a huge shallow flood plain that fills up each tide then empties through the narrow (ish) neck and causes the flow to really pick up.

Not sure this will work but https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=little+ferry+golspie&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

I stand basically where the A is and around there.

Awesome, sure does work, now i am scouting the area via maps hahaha

A lahonton cutthroat caught out of independence lake in california.. i was truley honered to catch this fish.. independence is the last lake in california to have a native population of these fish that once could be found all over the tahoe basin. caught it on a white closer minnow

post-45335-0-31116400-1367688159_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-36443300-1367688526_thumb.jpg

Today has been very hard going. 6 hours of solid fishing, and I landed the worlds mankiest Tiger Trout:

Tigertrout_zps82f81bb7.jpg

A couple hours later, I landed this beaut:

Rainbowtrout_zpsc4b426da.jpg

A brown I caught earlier this week, it ate the reel right off my rod!

P5010126.JPG

That browns a beauty.

Wavey, what is the tiger trout? A brook cross with rainbow??

That browns a beauty. Wavey, what is the tiger trout? A brook cross with rainbow??

Brook cross with brown. The place I like to go stocks them :)

Oh I will! I got a look at some other guys catch, they're a stunning fish when they're in good condition