Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

I remember catching smallies in Indiana, but that was decades ago. We don't have them in Florida. If I remember correctly, with it's mouth closed, the jaw does not extend past the eye. That's what I used to determine which kind of fish this was.

Yeah, we have a lot of smallies here in in MD. Attached is one I just caught out of Deep Creek Lake last week. I ID them from their generally smaller head, vertical barring, and the deep bronze color.

Like I said, sweet catch!

Tight lines!

post-50481-0-41435900-1386606973_thumb.jpg

I'll only reply to this once ... I based my identification on the fact that it's mouth, when closed, did not extend past the eye. I looked online at pictures, and there are a few that show Smallmouth Bass without barring or spots. Since both dorsal fins are not extended, there's no way to check for a gap between the two.

Here's a comparison of the mouths of each fish.

With the mouth closed, my catch definitely looked like the Smallmouth. The end of the jaw did not extend past the eye.

Since I really don't care, it was the only fish I caught all day and I'll be happy with that, y'all can call it whatever you want.

Today's take home. I release another 20 or so, only kept the largest ones. Did the same thing yesterday but forgot to take pictures. The fillet knife is 11 inches long.

Every one of these took this fly.

I tried other patterns, got some hits, but no "takers".

Thank you ... they've been widely separated, but if I keep moving, I find one here and there. Tons of fun on a light weight rod.

Lahontan cutthroat from pyramid lake nv. First time there.. What an awesome place, real hard to fish from shore though. Got him on a sz. 14 buzzer

post-45335-0-49021800-1388460715_thumb.jpgpost-45335-0-06886800-1388460797_thumb.jpg

Today was one of those days. I got on the water early, and it was colder and windier than the forecasters had reported.

I still managed to catch so many sunfish and bass that I lost count. I know I caught at least 15.

Here's a picture of the average sized fish for the day ...

Bluegill

Bass

^now that's a trophy bass!!! I have pic of a similar-size bass from a few years back that hit a 5" Clouser Half & Half, had to geta pic just because the fly was bigger than the fish.

Not sure if this will work. Had the camera set to film and didnt want to keep the fish out too long. First salmon of 2014 for me. Unfortunately not a fresh spring fish but a well mended Kelt. Certainly helped on a day that saw ice in the rod rings BRRRRRRR.

http://youtu.be/3X8AxSj1L7Y

Took this post-42518-0-93292300-1389629027_thumb.jpg

Nice way to start the season :)
When are the fresh fish arriving ?
I might have to read Flyfishing by Grey again, i think he fished Helmsdale too, long time ago.