Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Yep ... that's a big 'un. But it is a bit skinny. When she gets full of eggs next Spring, she'll weigh 2 pounds more, at least.

bass doesn't open in my area until late June. no pre/spawning fish for us. this is a good thing, as the pond is full of nest raiders (sunfish/crappie).

Prettily ugly carp. We don't have those this far south ... but I sure wish we did. Some of my fondest memories of Indiana.

We do actually. Helped a friend over in Melbourne get some out of his pond year ago, they muddied the water too much for him. I've seen them in the St Johns many times around lake Washington. Also remember seeing a guy bow fish for them while I was canoeing around Orlando, unfortunately I don't remember which river/spring it was.

I just go by records of the Florida Wildlife Commission and the local colleges. According to them, there are no records of Common Carp in Central Florida. Directly off the FWC site: "... Range: Occurs only in the Apalachicola and Ochlockonee rivers ..."

I do not doubt that you found some in a pond. Imported species show up all over. According to the sites, Carp need cooler water, and won't live too far south of the Georgia border.

I've been fishing this area since '92. I average well over 100 days a year on the water (all fresh water). I have never seen carp here.

Well I can only tell you what I have observed. I have certainly seen good sized fish in the 5+ pound range In one of the St Johns tributaries, as in I watched a fish yanked out of water with an arrow. I've seen them on the flats on the St Johns proper during high water(smaller fish). The problem with FWC is that they are usually way behind the curve. Not really their fault and I'm not bashing them, they just don't have the funding or manpower to keep up. For instance I have Florida Flag Fish all over my back yard right now, (aprox 17 acres worth). When I looked them up a number of years ago they aren't supposed to be anywhere near here. Peacock Bass aren't supposed to be west of SR29, "they can't survive" (actually talked to a State biologist while on the water west of 29 and they were very surprised when I said I just caught some). Peacocks aren't supposed to be able to be in Golden Gate on the west side of the state either for the same reason. Now I'm not saying you can go out and target carp on the St Johns, but I have certainly seen them.

Edit: I just looked at the USGS Florida Flag Fish map and they must have updated that in the last 4-5 years. It now shows pretty much all of Florida. Wasn't the case last time I looked.

I got out last Sunday and only caught two fish. Both were keepers, and I did.

A big bluegill ...

And a slightly smaller Red Breast Sunfish.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be more productive.

Kentuckysteve,

Wow...Beautiful area you are fishing at!

This lake is Sportsman's Lake in Lebanon Ky.One of my favorite to fish.It is a lot bigger than the picture shows and 90' deep in the deepest part.Usually crystal clear and loaded with bass,bluegill,catfish,crappie and lately i see a huge number of grass carp.Monster size grass carp.I have never fished for them but i have been checking out carp flies online and i think i will tie a few and try my luck.I have a good 8wt rod and the reel has a great drag i just hope if i hook one it will handle it.I hear they are really hard to catch.We will see.