Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Florida's going through some tough conditions. Cold Front ... cold nights ... blue bird skies ... high water. Fishing here at home is always fun ... but I don't always catch a bunch!

Saturday

Today

Flats ... Off and on for almost 50 years. Mostly on, but there have been a few years when I rarely picked up the fly rod.

Islander ... The Sunshine is a "mule", a sterile hybrid that is a "stocked" fish. There might be some in the ponds of this area, but I've never caught one.

The St. Johns River IS fun to fish. It's my favorite body of water, period.

I've caught them in the cast net while shrimping on the river just north of Lake George. Also caught them, croakers, flounder, and a few other species in the river on shrimp while the shrimp are running.

Maybe they move through the river between lakes they're stocked in, maybe the moving water doesn't suit them as much. We weren't far from the lake when we were shrimping so maybe they only ventured out of the lake to feast on the shrimp run. I know not.

One weight fun, fiberglass style. In the forties in the morning, upper seventies at noon. Gotta love Florida weather! A couple of these guys were cooperative.

post-52832-0-42804400-1480100191_thumb.jpg

I Set out this morning by myself on chobee with a rough game plan.That quickly changed due to the wind and waves. A couple hours later with nothing but a channel cat to the boat on conventional tackle, I decided to make a move to the wind protected rim canal and pick up the fly rods. The first hook up was this 5lber, which is my second best to date on the fly. Several more followed and it turned out to be a fantastic morning. I could get the flies to suspend much better than a crank bait ever could, and learned sometimes you just have to go fishing and not over think things. Black bass Friday was a blast.

post-59266-0-42595900-1480101564_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-76585900-1480101578_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-31782700-1480101599_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-67217300-1480101611_thumb.jpg

Nice bass, Caloosa!

I did alright on the St. Johns today. A few sunfish, a small Striped Bass and a nice Bowfin.

Dusting of snow on the ground and cold temps this morning. Maybe the last trout for me this year.

post-59483-0-26692900-1480390103_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Bimini15 I had two nice rainbows as well but they weren't nearly as photogenic. I lost 2 nice

fish today due to lousy knot tying. Nothing pisses me off more and there's no excuse for it but hands

do tend to numb up in the cold and tying tippets becomes a bear for me.

... hands do tend to numb up in the cold ...

Ah, just one of the many pleasures of living in Florida. We get about 4 days when it's that cold ... then Spring !!!