Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

I've been wading since I got here in '92.  I've had 'gators follow a top water lure to within 10 feet or so, but as soon as they see me, they take off. 

I've never felt threatened while wading.  I truly believe all alligator attacks are provoked ... or fed 'gators that got used to people nearby.

18 hours ago, mikechell said:

Got to spend some time wading my local retention pond this morning.  Every fish caught was taken on the size 12 ... pencil popper? ... I tied while in the hotel.

I went through all 6, as the marabou tails got chewed off.

You sure do know how to catch little fish good😋😋🤪. I'm teasing, of course. Any fishing's good fishing. Perhaps bunny tied on would work as good but last longer. The bass in that pond have some pretty colors.

Mike sadly the Blue Gills haven't migrated down from the lake to my little section of river yet.  The water temps are still cold, I should start hooking Fall Fish pretty soon followed by the Blue Gills until the stocked Browns drive them off for a few months.

IMG_4905.thumb.JPG.bd7e9c2d27890988855b26be01761c35.JPG IMG_4906.thumb.JPG.d623b46510468e77716aa48acde68a89.JPG

Thank Mike - It's typical New England farm stream and  I'm fortunate that this small river is 500' behind my house.  Thankfully I can walk to it if the Government closes the roads thereby saving my sanity.   Most of the year it's full of Fall Fish, Blue Gills, Yellow Perch, Crappies and the occasional Large Mouth.  The state stocks it with Browns in April/May but the water warms so they fade by mid summer.  Still it's a great and easy spot to head to if I don't have the time to drive out to a river with wild trout.  

Stay well!

Good fun with dad on the big o this morning! We both caught some on poppers early. Then switched  to slow sinking patterns. He had a few crickets and during the lull spaces between bed patches we’d toss a bobber. Then once we found em again break out the flies. 

7D8896AA-7C6B-4437-9BDD-1DE05CAF1B2A.jpeg

713D2D47-6305-466F-A1F6-DB1708186F04.jpeg

5CC05CD5-FB18-423D-9FC0-60C0698BBDF1.jpeg

Wow!  Nice day one the water.  Nice Coppernose and that's a chunk of Red Ear.  Very nice mess o' fish!

Shallow areas, or were you pulling them from 6 feet and deeper?

How was boat traffic?  Seems everybody who is not at work is out on the water right now.

Thanks guys.

Mike, they were in the 3-5 range. This area usually has good sight-fishing beds that are right at the bank... they weren’t there yet. But letting a fly get down 15 ft or so from the bank was the the answer.

The ramp we use sees very little traffic. When we launched at 6:30 we were alone. Throughout the morning we saw maybe 3 boats, and loading up at noon there were 5 trailers.  Seemed like less people than normal. 

No trophies today but ended up catching 9 total. Although I may have set the record for smallest trout ever. For a beginning fly tier, it’s really nice to see your flies work. 

1331DEE5-6B13-4728-865D-1F0FD7FB4B46.png

0029B401-21F2-42D4-B7AB-D5B22B2906EB.jpeg

54739D11-AE04-4CC6-93E8-509688FBF8CB.jpeg

3CD1A9ED-2E65-4683-AB1E-E81BF2AE8021.jpeg