Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

They stopped the trout stocking program in Illinois due to the virus, I asked a IDNR conservation officer last Friday if they will start it up again in October and he did not know.

so I looked up where I could catch some trout and my choices are black earth or the driftless, ok, so I don't have the money for that kind of trip right now, what else can I do? well I found a trout farm with a fishing pond about an hour away, $7.47 per pound, no releasing, keep what you catch, I had a blast!

wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, had to work at the larger ones, they don't fight like wild for sure, spent 4 hours there and had the opportunity to see what they would rise to, chase, and hit on, feel great about keeping them, not ashamed.

mask's have to worn in the shop only, only one person allowed in shop at a time, I was the only one there all morning and for 42 bucks I have 7 nice bows, brined and heading for the smoker.

to keep the small ones off I went with a size 2 showgirl in purple and pink, the larger ones would give 1-2 good short runs, would jump 2-4 times, then when near shore would fight some. I will be doing this again for sure, I feel like its cheating but I will love my dinner tonight.

bows.jpg

8 hours ago, xterrabill said:

no releasing, keep what you catch

Next time you go ... cut the hook where the barb would be.  Still enough hook to feel then on the line for a few seconds, but not enough to keep 'em hooked.  You can fish all day without actually landing anything.  If anyone questions you, you can say, "Wow.  I didn't realize the hook was busted!"

Then, when you're ready to go, switch to a full hooked version and keep a few.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

Next time you go

pinched the barbs down and opened up the hooks on 4 fly's before I went, had at least 5 or 6 shake off on purpose, stripped the fly away from at least 10 before they hit on other fly's that I tried, the girl running the place was so nice, I didn't have the heart to keep at it, I ended up talking with her again before I left, super super nice people, I cant wait to go back, maybe 2 more weeks I will.

Dinner was superb!

On 11/22/2011 at 2:02 AM, jhammer said:

I never put my reel in the water. I forgot I did one time and it cost me. I forgot to air out my backing and it rotted and it cost me one heck of a nice fish and my fly line lol! :lol:

I always dry my backing and line no matter how much or how little line is used. Got in the habit years ago.

In spite of the 'nearing the end of summer rush', cleaning up from the near weekly severe thunderstorms, fallen trees, and loss of power, and sudden and unexpected loss of a family member, I was able to sneak away Sunday morning for a few hours of fishing at the local tail-water. 

I love the old stone structures along the New England streams

IMG-20200823-092921-01-01.jpg

A few netted and quickly released:  

IMG-20200823-082427-01.jpg

IMG-20200823-084309-01.jpg

IMG-20200823-100238-01.jpg

The browns were nowhere to be seen, oddly enough.  

All caught on a fuzzy nymph

IMG_20200823_075948__01a.jpg

IMG_20200823_090106__01.jpg

made from a fur collar given to me by a neighbor this summer as he was downsizing to move.  I believe it to be from a coyote, but not real sure,  black ostrich hurl for the shoulder

IMG_20200826_090217.jpg

IMG_20200826_090234.jpg

1 hour ago, feathers5 said:

Beautiful photos, Thanks. Would you post a recipe for the fuzzy nymph? That fly looks so awesome wet.

Thanks, f5. 

That fly is basically a Polly Rosborough's Casual Dress, should have noted as such.  I just used that fur collar I was given instead of muskrat as called for in the original recipe. 

https://castingaround.anthonynaples.com/2010/02/casual-dress-some-variations-on-a-theme

The only two caught this morning worth getting their picture taken. And a beautiful sunrise.

9E14B993-D5CF-47F2-8815-FC881B82322C.jpeg

BF99A76B-946E-4F4F-9E67-590E30D31CB7.jpeg

F621A76B-78A1-4971-A3E4-126FC278525B.jpeg

That looks like a huge Red Ear!  2 pounds, unless the camera angle is making it look bigger.

Gotta love calm water in the morning!