Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

My wife surprised me with a family trip away for a few days, and an opportunity to do a little trout fishing.  We had major rain storms that caused a bunch of flooding, but midday today the river dropped about a foot and I was finally able to go out and catch this guy. 

20201117_152823-2.jpg

12 hours ago, HighMountainTieFlyer said:

I’m a loner so I never have someone to take pictures of me with a fish 😢

Here are some highlights of last summer 

Those pictures are just fine. I'm a loner too, I use a timer a lot when I want a picture of myself with a fish. Nice fish, and nice fishing.

5 hours ago, HighMountainTieFlyer said:

I hate blowing up locations but the last fish in that thread was caught on the East Fork of the South Fork of the Salmon River. I am saying this because there is a MASSIVE gold mine proposal at the headwaters of this river. It is one of the few remaining fisheries with native populations of Bull Trout and Kokanee. This obviously flows down through the S. Fork Salmon and then the Salmon rivers. These are both some of the most incredible fisheries in the world, where underwater spotting for Bull Trout was invented. I have watched 10+ foot sturgeon roll on the main salmon. If some people show interest I will start a thread to keep people updated on the fight to stop this mining project.

This is probably not the place to wage such a war. It could get very political and we stay away from political on this site. Try Trout Unlimited.

Been catching these guys much more often this year.  One of four from yesterday, all taken on either orange & starling or olive spider.  Brookies, browns, and bows were nowhere to  be seen.  

IMG-20201121-124727-A.jpg 

Finally!  Unlike usual years, I've been off the water for several months in a row this summer/fall.  Not in a row, but collectively.  Many of the trips I did take didn't produce any fish worth editing the video for.  

Finally had a full morning out.  On a lake less than 5 minutes from the house.

28 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Finally!  Unlike usual years, I've been off the water for several months in a row this summer/fall.  Not in a row, but collectively.  Many of the trips I did take didn't produce any fish worth editing the video for.  

Finally had a full morning out.  On a lake less than 5 minutes from the house.

Wow, what a nice day you had. Nice to see you in the orange canoe. Nice dark colors on the fish in that pond. Not to be too picky but I like to watch people cast too, not just the catches. I like to see the choices people make for fly placement.

Nice video, good for you.

nice video mikechell, nice crappies and bass. looks like fun, I've never fished for crappie, never seen a live crappie. what impressed me most is seeing you fishing in shorts and t shirt. its -20c or -4 Fahrenheit here. is that a stock lake?

It's chilly in the morning ... right around 60 degrees.  That's BRRR for us Floridians.  Getting into the 70s when the sun comes up.

Honestly, I don't know if there is such a thing as a stocked lake here.  I've heard they will put bass in larger bodies of water, but I've never seen a dump nor talked to anyone who has.  They say that wading birds do most of the transferring during spawns, when they wade through beds, then fly off to other ponds and deposit eggs.  Again, supposition more than fact.  All I know is, any body of water that's more than a year or so old will have some fish in it.