Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Yes, it's the same canoe.  The front radius of the "keel" had been worn through, from dragging it across the ground, beaching it, etc.  It had a crack through about 6 inches long.

I had to heat it, and using plastic from cat litter containers, seal the area.  I used some fine mesh screen, melted right into the plastic, to strengthen it.  Been floating high and dry ever since.

By luck or skill some days you just get it right.  I used a vacation day last Thursday and was on the river just after sun up.  It ended up being my best ever day fly fishing for Rainbows.  One grabbed on the first cast and a second one on the 3rd cast and I was off to a great start!  On the day I had at least 15 hooked up (maybe more but I lost count) with 5 reaching the net.  Around these parts that's a really good day as our trout rivers are heavily pressured which results in some really smart fish.  Add in the beautiful New England Autumn with 60 degree weather and this was as perfect as fly fishing gets for me.  A wonderful memory that will inspire while I'm tying flies during the long winter months ahead.  

IMG_0864.thumb.JPG.e4270a9a8e5d5defb49f88cfb74b4f85.JPG

IMG_E0848.thumb.JPG.204f3c7c35f7dd9604a135c19465a84a.JPG

IMG_E0857.thumb.JPG.101b6a856bdea5e9f2cedbd8f1edd8da.JPG

IMG_E0879.thumb.JPG.3e4b5352fe456f1711b432c47725abf0.JPGIMG_E0870.thumb.JPG.4fb7ed022f126f2dab206bd26c69bc53.JPG

IMG_E0887.thumb.JPG.8ed81ed31d7f2123a350bb486ff573b3.JPG

Perfect sized bows to make for a fun filled day on the stream 😎

I want to sneak away from rod work for a day to enjoy some myself, but this rain just won't stop here this fall. Local river is over 1ft too high :(

4 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Perfect sized bows to make for a fun filled day on the stream 😎

I want to sneak away from rod work for a day to enjoy some myself, but this rain just won't stop here this fall. Local river is over 1ft too high :(

A foot is a lot! A year ago the river in the photo was just starting to recover from a drought that for most of the year had it at an ankle deep trickle.   All the fish seemed to be confined to a few shallow pools.  I couldn't believe the Blue Herons didn't catch every last trout.   A month ago I was wading and it required serious attention and a staff to keep from being swept away.  I dropped my staff (never to be seen again at least not by me).  Self preservation kicked in and I decided it would be best to fish best from wherever I could find an opening on the bank.  We have 3 days of heavy rain coming so I'm not sure what the rivers will look like this weekend.

IMG_6130.jpg.0af485d9331c99c47cc56be85ee03106.jpg

Went back into the marsh creeks where I found a bunch of snook blowing up bait last week. They did not disappoint and ended up landing over a dozen up to 25 inches and hooked a real pig that broke me off and took my last schminnow.

19 hours ago, mikechell said:

Not all were caught on a fly ... but they're still nice little fish.

Nice fish there Mike- that last largemouth was a beauty!

Started to rain, so not as long on the water this morning.  Lake Talmadge again.  I'm not getting much on a fly rod on this lake.  Tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll be trying a different small pond in my area.

Hey all.

I caught a new PB Rainbow trout. I'd tell you the weight but hate being called a liar! LOL

Caught on a balanced pink beaded white leach.

20211031_132423[3124].jpg