Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

On 1/19/2022 at 8:50 PM, Sandan said:

I caught 3 on Monday

Missed that post somehow, pretty fish.  Hoping for a February thaw up here in New England.  

img_3734-scaled.jpg

Managed a nice little post-cold front bass while testing out some new Deceivers on Sunday.  Missed a second one of similar size yesterday on lunch break.

Really excited to see these fish as I've only landed one decent bass out of this pond in the past two years.  They were quite common when I first moved in, but became extremely difficult to find after a boom in fishing activity during the 2020 lockdown.  If anything the added harvest in 2020 may have benefited the pond in the long run as it thinned out the over abundance of 1 lbs fish.  Now to go find one of the 8-10 lbs lunkers my neighbors swear are in there.

Chris

5 hours ago, niveker said:

Missed that post somehow, pretty fish.  Hoping for a February thaw up here in New England.  

It was a beaut. We've been having cold then not so cold, but mostly sunny or partly cloudy. The water is cold. I get stir crazy at home on weekends and I can be on the water in about an hour so I just go.  I'm sending my good wishes for that thaw so you can get out too.

5 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

img_3734-scaled.jpg

Managed a nice little post-cold front bass while testing out some new Deceivers on Sunday.  Missed a second one of similar size yesterday on lunch break.

Really excited to see these fish as I've only landed one decent bass out of this pond in the past two years.  They were quite common when I first moved in, but became extremely difficult to find after a boom in fishing activity during the 2020 lockdown.  If anything the added harvest in 2020 may have benefited the pond in the long run as it thinned out the over abundance of 1 lbs fish.  Now to go find one of the 8-10 lbs lunkers my neighbors swear are in there.

Chris

nice bass.

Here's a nice small snook caught and released last week by a fly angler from Austria...

vTDk8bj.jpg

The fish took a small baitfish pattern after it came dashing out from under a mangrove thicket in a small creek...

Friday was my first trout outing of the year.  I got 2 stocked Rainbows in an hour of fishing, a 13" grabbed my upper "Red Baron" nymph as it sank about a foot below the surface.  The 11" was taking adult stoneflies off the surface as they we're depositing eggs.  I tied on a #14 grey soft hackle, got a nice drift right over top of him and he ate it on the first pass.  Both fish put up really good fights for being stockers.  The 3 weight bamboo I built over the winter felt like I'd had it for 20 years and as a bonus I noticed a really nice new lure that some wader less person lost to a tree branch.  My grandson has a nice box of "free" tackle waiting for him when he gets a little older.

Then, a very slight 4" slip of my left foot while wading and I felt the zing of a pulled lower back muscle.  I fished for another 20 minutes before it really began to bother me. The climb up the embankment to my Jeep let me know it was there and not happy.  I spent the rest of the weekend grunting and eating Advil.  On the bright side most of the weekend was a little to windy to fish and it got me out of raking a million acorns on Saturday.  It is slowly getting better.  Maybe it's time to start stretching before wading? Is that a "thing"?

IMG_2893.thumb.JPG.8dfb65cf663dca73cea8b3216d67e52b.JPG

IMG_2899.thumb.JPG.8e323bf709b4cde642aae6fab4300020.JPG

Had a few hours yesterday morning. All the larger rivers here are pretty full, so I decided to visit a smaller brook.  Found a few wild Easter brookies that were willing to play. Always amazed at the beauty of little guys. 

IMG-20220416-092449.jpg

IMG-20220416-090802.jpg

IMG-20220416-085356-01.jpg

IMG-20220416-085457.jpg

Happy Easter to all

12 hours ago, niveker said:

Always amazed at the beauty of little guys. 

Yep, I agree. I have always said a wild brookie is the only 6" fish you can catch and be totally happy with! They are just truly beautiful no matter the size.