Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

47 minutes ago, niveker said:

True.  I have never seen anyone fishing on this brook in this section, only a few miles south of here.  If it weren't for finding a fly stuck in a branch a few years ago, I would think no one ever does.   

My kind of water!

On 5/12/2022 at 10:57 AM, RickZieger said:

Two best from a farm pond today.

5-12-22.JPG

Good looking pair!

Haven’t been taking many pics lately. Here’s some local variety from the last couple outings. 

987C5D34-CB41-4940-9BD8-C4983A592DE5.jpeg

D192F1C8-8A07-4E5B-8C00-40D3F06FD5F5.jpeg

3AB259C4-510E-4346-B282-67490DDAD787.jpeg

92CF08C0-4B73-4458-915D-59A0432B30CB.jpeg

2BB8A86B-F5A4-462E-96B5-774CDB6B471E.jpeg

Love those first two pics Caloosa... all of our local canals down here in paradise (south Florida) are loaded with them... That first one is a jaguar guapote I believe - and one specie we have yet to tangle with while working through lots and lots of mayan cichlids, oscars, peacocks, and others...  Here's a recent peacock bass from a canal system about 15 minutes from my house.  Most of western Broward county has canals so full of fish that myself and a frequent partner, retired teacher Mike Cole not only match each other fish for fish (he's working spinning gear with me on the fly rod) but frequently have double headers, working around each other's fish...

lPc6nnC.jpg

Just nothing like the 'glades, and I've added peacock bass to my offerings as a guide when I'm not 100 miles away working the saltwater Everglades...

Agreed, good stuff Captain! No peacock here, but they aren’t too far away. Got this Oscar today. When I was a kid, these were the only exotics to be had. The jaguar have shown up the last couple years and are quickly multiplying. 

BDF6A132-A46C-46E2-A0CD-EDC7076C99A8.jpeg

On 5/12/2022 at 10:57 AM, RickZieger said:

Two best from a farm pond today.

Nice, Rick.  Time to get the cast iron smoking.

On 5/22/2022 at 12:14 AM, caloosa bug said:

some local variety

Nice variety there, very cool looking fish.  

My brother and I hit two local streams on Sunday, trying to stay in the shade and in the water to beat the first real heat this season.  

All stocked trout, a few fallfish, and some bass and bluegills.  

Image304.jpg

Image305.jpg

Image306.jpg

Image307.jpg

Image308.jpg

Image309.jpg

Image313.jpg

Image317.jpg

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Nice, Rick.  Time to get the cast iron smoking.

Nice variety there, very cool looking fish.  

My brother and I hit two local streams on Sunday, trying to stay in the shade and in the water to beat the first real heat this season.  

Image304.jpg

Image305.jpg

Image306.jpg

Image307.jpg

Image308.jpg

Image309.jpg

Image313.jpg

Image317.jpg

Nice fish sir-  the last photo looks a lot like the Ware River?

Over the weekend the temps here hit the mid 90's with humidity to match.  Saturday I got to the river at first light to fish until it got uncomfortable.  I often fish small streams under a tree canopy so this particular river being fairly wide meant a lot of sun exposure depending on where I was standing.   It's got plenty of wild trout as well as stocked fish and because I've been in a slump lately when it comes to small stream wild trout I thought this was a good option.   All morning a lot of trout were rising with heads completely out of the water, taking very, very small flies, so small I couldn't see them.  Midges or even mosquitos?  It was really early when I left and in the mental fog before coffee I forgot to grab my micro box.   😲 Fortunately there was plan B- throw every thing else and hopefully find something they like. 

Two hours and 20+ flies fished on 3 rigs later a #10 black woolly bugger on a dead drift with only the slightest tug, just enough to pause it, did the trick.  I ended up netting 3, losing 1  and missing 3 so not so bad.  I have to wonder though how I would have done if I had my micro dries?  These are the questions that haunt me in over the winter. 

IMG_3675.thumb.JPG.8521b7152dc7d0b10a837e730284fdbc.JPG

IMG_E3667.thumb.JPG.1db79c04005dc743a92591050ad3ad71.JPG

IMG_3672.thumb.JPG.73c387c8103bdfb3791a793186c0fdaf.JPG

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Ware River

You are correct, it is fishing very well right now.  

Nice fish, especially that brookie.  

12 hours ago, niveker said:

Very nice. It’s been 20 years since I trout fished in a stream. Makes me really, really want to go again.

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

Those fish pictures almost make me want to move North.  Almost. 

12 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

Very nice. It’s been 20 years since I trout fished in a stream. Makes me really, really want to go again.

C'mon up guys the spring trout fishing is peaking and the weather won't turn  nasty for another 8 months (a Floridian might say 3 months) but either way you got time.