Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

This is from a  couple of weeks ago.  I've got a week of vacation, so I'm hoping to get into some bigger fish this week.

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

This is from a  couple of weeks ago.  I've got a week of vacation, so I'm hoping to get into some bigger fish this week.

What’s the little dumbbell for, an anchor?

This July has been a tough month.  The weekend of the 4th I ended up in the hospital to have my appendix removed.  Last Monday I started feeling lousy and tested positive for Covid (2nd time) which wasn't too bad if you don't mind wanting to just sleep 18 hours a day.  It took me 4 days to get over it but Saturday morning I felt back to normal.   Time to go have some fun with a fly rod.  I thought about chasing trout but locally the trout fishing on streams has been slowing with most of the trout finding their summer hide outs from the skinny water.  I went to a nearby spill over from a reservoir and targeted Bluegills and they didn't disappoint, truly great fun on a light fly rod.  Nymphs, winged wets and soft hackles were all working.  Later I tied on some streamers and got a couple of small Large mouths and a white perch.  Not trophy Gills but I probably caught 30 fish and lost another 15 in less that 2 hours of fishing.  Just fun and I needed that!

IMG_E4320.JPG

IMG_E4311.JPG

IMG_E4326.JPG

IMG_E4322.JPG

IMG_E4312.JPG

IMG_E4330.JPG

IMG_E4335.JPG

IMG_E4314.JPG

IMG_E4333.JPG

IMG_E4337.JPG

That's my kind of fishing, DFoster.

Yes, Poopdeck.  A 10 pound dumbell.  Much cheaper than an anchor of the same weight.  Lower profile on the deck so I can keep it handy without it being in the way.  And it holds the boat in place where I fish.  Probably wouldn't be very effective in fast current rivers, but I don't have anything like that near me.

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

That's my kind of fishing, DFoster.

Yes, Poopdeck.  A 10 pound dumbell.  Much cheaper than an anchor of the same weight.  Lower profile on the deck so I can keep it handy without it being in the way.  And it holds the boat in place where I fish.  Probably wouldn't be very effective in fast current rivers, but I don't have anything like that near me.

I use a 10lb window sash weight as an anchor in my Kayak

Officially, a Rose Mallow.  It actually darkens as the day goes on.  Towards the end of each day, it can be as red as a rose.

Yes, it's a member of the Hibiscus family.

Lunch break Largemouth today.  Was catching some nice sized sunfish and bluegills on a foam hopper I tied then switched over to this white popper (still in his lip) to switch things up a little and work on casting a little heavier weight.  Second cast out and 3-4 pops later the battle began.  People ask, "What's your favorite perk of your job"...  My short answer is, "Being able to fish for an hour every day in a wonderful body of water."  

Bass_on_Popper_Selfridge_july_2022.jpg

My biggest LMB on a fly rod yet. I usually only go to one small pond to get my warm water fix, so the pickings are slim. I know there are bigger in here, so there's a chance of improving.

PXL_20220731_010419579.jpg

6 hours ago, niveker said:

@caloosa bug, pretty fish.  What's your hardware there?

Thank you sir! They are pretty.

A little old martin, and a maxcatch extreme, 3wt. 8’4”, 4 pc. 

Nice, I like the old Martins, they just feel solid.  I just picked up a 60, its sitting on the shelf waiting for some line.  

On 7/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, Squeezy said:

Lunch break Largemouth today.  Was catching some nice sized sunfish and bluegills on a foam hopper I tied then switched over to this white popper (still in his lip) to switch things up a little and work on casting a little heavier weight.  Second cast out and 3-4 pops later the battle began.  People ask, "What's your favorite perk of your job"...  My short answer is, "Being able to fish for an hour every day in a wonderful body of water."  

Bass_on_Popper_Selfridge_july_2022.jpg

Nice fish! -