Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Broke in my new 8wt. today. Wind was howling 20-25+, but was still able to present the fly to a dozen or more bass from 13-19 inches.

post-59266-0-21558900-1485126222_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-93213700-1485126254_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-28044400-1485126273_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-22088500-1485126291_thumb.jpg

It was a bust all morning. Put the boat in at 6:30 and made a long run out to the main lake before the high winds rolled in. I fished some beautiful bassy looking spots for a few hours with nothing to the boat. Explored around a bit and by 10:30 I had only landed one fish. The wind had really picked up by then. The kids were at grandpa's, and the wife was busy all day with other stuff, so I wasn't about to go home early. I ran 15 miles back to the ramp in the rim canal and went the opposite direction, looking for the dike to offer some protection from the wind. I found one little stretch that was a somewhat sheltered, but not much. It sill blew my hat off my head, and about lost some flies out my box when looking through them.

I came by a concrete structure where bluegill were popping and on the first cast to the edge of the concrete a 16 incher crushed an ep baitfish. I had to stay on the trolling motor and deal with ignorant yachts cruising by, but I went back and forth along a 10 yard stretch and the bass would push the baitfish up to the edge and for a few seconds it was mayhem with bass exploding everywhere. This kept going for an hour. Craziness for a few seconds, then a couple minute pause, and start again. I caught a bunch down deep right at the edge, and several more as soon as it hit the water. It was a blast. My new secret spot was found though. 2 flw boats pre fishing for next weekend's tournament, came up on both sides of me waiting for me to leave. They saw it all.

Oh ya , I caught a couple monster gills too. Big enough to eat a weedless fly tied on a size 1 worm hook.

Niiicce ... I am so ready to come home. I can almost feel those fish hitting ...

I don't fly fish in winds over 13 or so. By 15, controlling my boat becomes such a pain that I am no longer enjoying the fishing. Fortunately, I have other things to do on those windy days.

Wife was here through the weekend. She is now sitting in the airplane, at the gate. They are waiting for a window to fly to Orlando and be able to land.

I took a look at the trees bending over across the street, and was like, nope.

Nice fish.

It's been slooow as molasses here. The last three outings resulted in a couple little buggers.

I'm in love with that glass two weight I built.

post-52832-0-44901600-1485185183_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-10469600-1485185204_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-58578900-1485185219_thumb.jpg

thanks to you both. most pics i get come out pretty crappy cuz i'm trying to get the fish released asap. most i let go without a pic, but this was the first fish of the year.

I accounted for that in the comment. Imagine if you had a chance to really set it up... I would ask for permission to use it as wallpaper, and I don't even fish for trout.

Beautiful! It's been years since I caught a trout. Maybe 10 since I left the sunshine state. Thanks for sharing.