Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Absolute beast of a channel cat that took a little white and black rabbit/buck tail fly on a circle hook at a local farm pond. 

2A2B66B9-5F50-400C-A60D-35B20CA417B0.jpeg

It sure was Mike, took me into backing twice! It’s hit or miss with catfish sometimes they fight hard, other times it’s like hooking a giant wet sock. But the big ones tend to give you a run for your money in my experience. 

Some more little ones, Mark.  Waded my retention pond this morning for a couple of hours.  Caught a lot of Warmouth, a few Bluegill and a bass or two.  Didn't even get them ALL on video.

Enjoy, y'all.

Beautiful. Your little pond is starting to get plugged up with vegetation. Looks like fun.

Thanks guys.  Surprising, for the short time it's had water in it, that there are so many different species, and they're so healthy.

I had to work for this one-

I was on the water Sunday morning for a couple of hours at one of my local free stone rivers.   There's a little honey hole in front of a 12" spill over that I've always had good luck at.  The trout usually hold in 4' of water under a tangle of brambles that over hang out 4' or so along the far bank.  If you get it just right you can cast up within a few inches of the spill over and let the current pass a weighted nymph under the edge of the over hang right on the seam.  If you don't get it right you may end up in the brambles as the mounting collection of flies can attest.  Myself and others have a lot of tying hours hanging on that bush.  Getting into casting position is the main problem.  The wading is really difficult because the water is waist deep with a really strong current in the center of the run.  The bottom is made up of very slippery large rocks and each step varies in elevation from a few inches to 2'.  A staff is a must have.  Because I only had limited time on the water I decided to fish my way up there even though it would probably be the only hole I would get to fish.  I was rewarded with this beauty grabbing a pale green latex nymph.  The best fight I've had in a year!  I counted six jumps and it took 5 attempts to get it in the net.  I don't know how long lasted, I was using 5X tippet in fast water so it seemed like forever.  Every time I thought it was over the Rainbow would see my net and find the strength to fight on.  What a great memory from this fish!IMG_E5195.thumb.JPG.52ac56e13e2b03041e9d79c356e4f3a6.JPG

That's a beautiful, fat Rainbow, DF!  Good story, too.

Got out on the boat today.  Very windy, but I managed to find about 500 yards of shoreline out of the wind.  Cold start ... I needed TWO flannel shirts !!!

2 hours ago, DFoster said:

I had to work for this one-

I was on the water Sunday morning for a couple of hours at one of my local free stone rivers.   There's a little honey hole in front of a 12" spill over that I've always had good luck at.  The trout usually hold in 4' of water under a tangle of brambles that over hang out 4' or so along the far bank.  If you get it just right you can cast up within a few inches of the spill over and let the current pass a weighted nymph under the edge of the over hang right on the seam.  If you don't get it right you may end up in the brambles as the mounting collection of flies can attest.  Myself and others have a lot of tying hours hanging on that bush.  Getting into casting position is the main problem.  The wading is really difficult because the water is waist deep with a really strong current in the center of the run.  The bottom is made up of very slippery large rocks and each step varies in elevation from a few inches to 2'.  A staff is a must have.  Because I only had limited time on the water I decided to fish my way up there even though it would probably be the only hole I would get to fish.  I was rewarded with this beauty grabbing a pale green latex nymph.  The best fight I've had in a year!  I counted six jumps and it took 5 attempts to get it in the net.  I don't know how long lasted, I was using 5X tippet in fast water so it seemed like forever.  Every time I thought it was over the Rainbow would see my net and find the strength to fight on.  What a great memory from this fish!

Very nice, congrats.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

That's a beautiful, fat Rainbow, DF!  Good story, too.

Got out on the boat today.  Very windy, but I managed to find about 500 yards of shoreline out of the wind.  Cold start ... I needed TWO flannel shirts !!!

Man, you should start carrying a gaff for Bass that size. He looks like the one that ate my Dropper 4 times last week. Those little guys have heart!

Thanks all, as we all know every once in a while the fish are right where they’re supposed to be and we do everything right.  Tomorrow is a whole different day though. Lol. 
Mike it looks like you had an awesome day of it yourself!  I’m jealous of your April weather. It’s been in the 40’s here and raining when it’s not windy.