Jump to content
Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Recommended Posts

And for anyone contemplating a trip to Florida..  Our hurricane season (as those weather folks have called it....) starts in June and runs until November - but I doubt any hurricane can read or follow the "usual pattern"... The good news for all of us down here is that usually we get so much advance notice that we're tired of hearing about one - long before it shows up... The only exception is late season hurricanes which can brew up and come at you with little notice at all... 

Here's the only things I've learned about them in more than fifty years... One thing you can be certain of and that is, if you live in the tropics sooner or later you'll be learning more about hurricanes than you ever wanted to know.... Secondly there are two things you can never predict about them - the first is when one will come to your door - the second is the size of the dog coming to bite you.... I won't even put up shutters for a category one storm.. . if a category five is headed my way I want to be a thousand miles away.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

And for anyone contemplating a trip to Florida..  Our hurricane season (as those weather folks have called it....) starts in June and runs until November - but I doubt any hurricane can read or follow the "usual pattern"... The good news for all of us down here is that usually we get so much advance notice that we're tired of hearing about one - long before it shows up... The only exception is late season hurricanes which can brew up and come at you with little notice at all... 

Here's the only things I've learned about them in more than fifty years... One thing you can be certain of and that is, if you live in the tropics sooner or later you'll be learning more about hurricanes than you ever wanted to know.... Secondly there are two things you can never predict about them - the first is when one will come to your door - the second is the size of the dog coming to bite you.... I won't even put up shutters for a category one storm.. . if a category five is headed my way I want to be a thousand miles away.... 

Bob another thing you can be certain of is the media's love of themselves.  To the network news crying wolf to boost ratings is completely acceptable as long as it’s done out of "an abundance of caution".  Up here if we don't get grazed by a CAT 1 it's always with the first snow of the season.  There may only be 4" on the way but it's enough to trigger the mandatory live 24/7 reports from a clown outdoors wearing a full Mount Everest parka with plenty of required break away reports from the local market milk and bread isles. Maybe they should dub in air raid sirens and some stock footage of people scrambling for cover from old Godzilla movies?  Back when I used to watch the news my favorite part of the show was the following day when they would mask their massive disappointment that the storm didn’t turn into another Blizzard of ’78 by telling us all repeatedly  how lucky we all are to have the “most trusted” (lol) local news coverage bravely risking death to keep us informed. 

I did hear on my way into work that the weather guessers have decided that this hurricane season will be worse than normal!   I can feel the excitement in the Florida news rooms from here in New England!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Bob another thing you can be certain of is the media's love of themselves.  To the network news crying wolf to boost ratings is completely acceptable as long as it’s done out of "an abundance of caution".  Up here if we don't get grazed by a CAT 1 it's always with the first snow of the season.  There may only be 4" on the way but it's enough to trigger the mandatory live 24/7 reports from a clown outdoors wearing a full Mount Everest parka with plenty of required break away reports from the local market milk and bread isles. Maybe they should dub in air raid sirens and some stock footage of people scrambling for cover from old Godzilla movies?  Back when I used to watch the news my favorite part of the show was the following day when they would mask their massive disappointment that the storm didn’t turn into another Blizzard of ’78 by telling us all repeatedly  how lucky we all are to have the “most trusted” (lol) local news coverage bravely risking death to keep us informed. 

I did hear on my way into work that the weather guessers have decided that this hurricane season will be worse than normal!   I can feel the excitement in the Florida news rooms from here in New England!

Hurricane season worse than normal Dean? Can't be...last year, and the year before and the year before were all worse than normal.😂😂😂
My wife always puts the news on, and I do my best to ignore these folks...more now then ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SalarMan said:


My wife always puts the news on, and I do my best to ignore these folks...more now then ever.

 

Your a smart man George!

My 2020 New Year's resolution was to stop watching the news.  Since that day the only main stream news I've seen has been in places I can't control and it just happens to be on. Waiting rooms, restaurant bars and places like that.  I'm beyond the reach of the propagandist and you would be surprised how angry these self righteous lol "journalist" get when you tell them that.  When I'm interested in an issue or event I'll research it my self and form my own opinion.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DFoster said:

 

Your a smart man George!

My 2020 New Year's resolution was to stop watching the news.  Since that day the only main stream news I've seen has been in places I can't control and it just happens to be on. Waiting rooms, restaurant bars and places like that.  I'm beyond the reach of the propagandist and you would be surprised how angry these self righteous lol "journalist" get when you tell them that.  When I'm interested in an issue or event I'll research it my self and form my own opinion.  

 

 

You're a smart man as well Dean!

There's nothing like the Golf Channel, Food Network, the outdoor oriented channels...well you get the idea.

Take care and stay safe!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a pretty good fishing weekend.  We had several family parties at our home, so I was up at dawn each day to help my wife with party prepping BUT from roughly 7 to 11 there was time to fish.  Saturday, I went to a new river and fished it in a light drizzle.  I caught quite a few Fallfish and Herring which are always a lot of fun, but the stocked brown trout eluded me.  Sunday, I hit my favorite local trout river.  If you picture a New England trout stream in your mind it probably looks like this place. It has miles of water like the area’s in the photos below. This river holds wild Browns and Brook trout along with Rainbows.  I lost a few but ended up netting 2 Brookies and a hard fighting Rainbow.  I had a shot at the hat trick, so I spent my final hour fishing an area that I know holds browns.  I got a couple of bumps and a fingerling herring, but the trifecta will have to wait for another day.  Yesterday I went to the small river behind my home and landed several Fallfish.  I did get a small Brown, but he slipped out of my hand before I could get his photo.  No gear got ruined, I didn't injure myself, I got to hold a few fish and spend some time with family.      

IMG_E3742.thumb.JPG.8d8317c7eaa913d9289ddc6a25360816.JPGIMG_E3747.thumb.JPG.c50928b96df020cfbff3669c3698b4a1.JPGIMG_E3755.thumb.JPG.5aa1718e26255b144b8ec69db0afa68c.JPGQUINAPOXET_5_-28-22.thumb.JPG.c05753e5f120396908782deb957086b7.JPGQUINAPOXET_5-28-22_A.thumb.JPG.eb02bc23ae064c84fda1528ecae5fec1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that isn't perfection...it sure is pretty darn close!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DFoster said:

I had a pretty good fishing weekend.  

Sounds like a perfect week-end, nice spot.  Always encouraging to get one of those little guys, @DFoster, shows mother nature is doing something right in spite of the the browns and rainbows being stocked on top of the native brookies. 

I was able to get out a bit on Sunday and picked up a salmon in the Swift about the same size, first one I've caught there since last Spring, very glad to see it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, niveker said:

Sounds like a perfect week-end, nice spot.  Always encouraging to get one of those little guys, @DFoster, shows mother nature is doing something right in spite of the the browns and rainbows being stocked on top of the native brookies. 

I was able to get out a bit on Sunday and picked up a salmon in the Swift about the same size, first one I've caught there since last Spring, very glad to see it.   

Those little salmon are fun!  The Still Water is loaded with 4" - 6" range and they are aggressive.  The photos are from the Quiny and despite stocking there still are plenty of Brookies and wild Browns to be found.  Usually not to big but on a light rod they give a good account of themselves.  Because I was on light tippet I really had to take my time with the Rainbow.

3 hours ago, SalarMan said:

If that isn't perfection...it sure is pretty darn close!!!!

I don't know about perfection but I am really fortunate to have that river 30 minutes from my house.  

2 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Great looking trout. Sounds like a perfect day on the stream.

It was a great way to spend 3 hours and if not for family obligations I could have stayed on the water for the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great like New England should be. You had fun and that's what it's about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, feathers5 said:

Looks great like New England should be. You had fun and that's what it's about.

That river looks a lot like parts of PA doesn't it?  Yes it was a fun day.  I'm planning on a return to the same river this weekend but at a different location.  I might have to sell a fly rod to afford the gas to get there and back. 😦

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe the year is half over !!!  I realized I haven't been fishing since last year !!!

So, I walked the local pond last weekend, and I got out on the river today.  But I forgot the sun screen, so I wasn't out there very long.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, I am indeed.  I was spending so much time in the work shop for a while, I just "forgot" to go fishing.  Then, about two months ago, I was going to go, and one of my trailer tires had gone flat AND come off the bead seat.  I couldn't get it to seat again.  Just got around to buying a new set of wheels from Tractor Supply two weeks ago.  

Now ... I'll spend some more time on the water.  I was starting to have serious side effects of not fishing.  I was looking at puddles after a rain and seeing rises !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...