Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Good to see ya out on the water Mike. I was wondering how come you had not fished yet this year but then I remembered the new wood shop, so makes sense. Gotta make time for all the things you enjoy though ūüėé

Yeah!  I'm "stocking up" on hobbies for retirement.  It's now less than 4 years away.  (29th of May was exactly 4 years)

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

Thank you, I am indeed.  I was spending so much time in the work shop for a while, I just "forgot" to go fishing.  Then, about two months ago, I was going to go, and one of my trailer tires had gone flat AND come off the bead seat.  I couldn't get it to seat again.  Just got around to buying a new set of wheels from Tractor Supply two weeks ago.  

Now ... I'll spend some more time on the water.  I was starting to have serious side effects of not fishing.  I was looking at puddles after a rain and seeing rises !!!

I'm glad you're back out on the water, medicine for the soul.

Agreed, feathers!  And yesterday was even better!

On 6/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, mikechell said:

Now ... I'll spend some more time on the water.  I was starting to have serious side effects of not fishing.  I was looking at puddles after a rain and seeing rises !!!

Nice looking fish Mike!  That must be one heck of a workshop to make you forget to fish!  As my wife will tell you I start to act like a difficult 3 year old if I don't get out.

I had a great Saturday.  I was disappointed to lose a huge fish but the fight was fun while it lasted and It's one of those I'll remember over the winter.  There are browns in this river and because of the fly it took and the way if fought a big brown is at the top of my suspect list.  Whatever it was took a #18 light brown PTN in about 7' of water. After about 20 seconds of fighting it out in the mid water column I could feel it digging toward the bottom.  I had 5X on and with weight of the fish I had to give ground.  After that there was little I could do to raise it, tiring it out was my only hope.  Earlier I lost a few flies to submerged something in this exact spot so: Advantage fish.  Likely it would only be a matter of time before my tippet caught on the something- smart fish.   Just as I was thinking that exact thought "snap" and the torn up piece of tippet told the story.  I really wish I could have at least gotten a look at what it was.  

I did win a few fights. 

IMG_E3791.thumb.JPG.253c336e8abff7d1bdb3448283d9083b.JPG

IMG_3793.thumb.JPG.b5498f7cd0b0829de39d2cac7d42cd43.JPG

IMG_E3797.thumb.JPG.b54ca61148ddca74f1c66a4d72e148b0.JPG

IMG_E3799.thumb.JPG.35e8bae927cd96e7aa1321175843d250.JPG

10 minutes ago, DFoster said:

I was disappointed to lose a huge fish but the fight was fun while it lasted and It's one of those I'll remember over the winter. 

Some beautiful brookies and a big one that got away, sounds like a good day indeed, DF.  

Those are the ones that spark the imagination.  I had a similar experience week-end before last.  It never surfaced, so I never got a look at him, so not sure what is was.  Each time I thought I had him tired out, he just planted himself on the bottom and wouldn't budge for a minute, and then he'd be off again.  Fought him for what seemed like 10 minutes before he broke off, taking the sparkle emerger with him.  I'm thinking it might have been a carp due to the odd off-and-on again way it fought.

1 minute ago, niveker said:

Those are the ones that spark the imagination. 

I "imagine" that one will haunt me this winter......ūüė≤¬†

On 6/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, mikechell said:

yesterday was even better!

That's a good morning, Mike, I haven't had the boat out on the lake yet this year, reminds me what I'm missing.   

Some of this weekend’s bounty. I let the oscars go after some photos. Caught probably 50 Mayans to the 12 bluegill. The 3 wt. got a workout. Trying to upload some video. Maybe I’ll figure it out tomorrow. 

2D9ABE53-8091-47CA-9E56-B295CA1C0BC2.jpeg

Hi Caloosa. 

Nice! Looks like a fun time!

What is smack in the middle of that mess of fish?  That brown oscar is covering most of the bottom half of it.  It's probably a bass, but the color looks more walleye which I know can't be right. Speaking of the oscars, why did you pass on them?  Just too many?

Swamp

7 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Hi Caloosa. 

Nice! Looks like a fun time!

What is smack in the middle of that mess of fish?  That brown oscar is covering most of the bottom half of it.  It's probably a bass, but the color looks more walleye which I know can't be right. Speaking of the oscars, why did you pass on them?  Just too many?

Swamp

Yes sir it was. It was a bass in the center. He swallowed the fly and expired pretty quickly in the live well. I was just getting a couple meals for my parents and simply didn’t want to bother with filleting the oscars. I released them in the canal behind my house.

16 hours ago, feathers5 said:

Great brookies.

Thank's Feathers-  The large one was a stocked fish.  The little guys are wild.