Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

On 6/26/2022 at 9:44 AM, niveker said:

👍

It is a great way to end the day when I have the time.  

I got to ask - what is that rod?  Very different and It looks like glass-

It's kind of a cool rod, I think, a 2 piece, 8-ft, 7wt, Daiwa VIP Gold. 

You are correct, it is fiberglass, and has that classic fiberglass feel that doesn't rush you. 

The blank is a translucent amber that has a beautiful glow to it when in the sun, which is why I bought it at a yard sale a few years back. If it was sitting in the shade I no doubt would have passed it up. That and the cool purple wrapping made up for the crappy foam grip and plier scraped knurled lock nuts.

It's early days (very early) this time of year in backcountry and tarpon up to around 70lbs can be found in relatively small creeks while the adults are still just beginning to return from spawning down in the Keys...  We only jumped two my last day this week... Here's a pic of the small one...

wAv2crA.jpg

The biggest one actually jumped up into a tree to shake the hook... and get free.  Fly anglers wanted... 

7 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Here's a pic of the small one..

Nice action shot.  

I was able to get out on a local river on Friday for the first time since being released from the hospital.  I decided to stay close to home because I wasn't quite sure how my body would react.  After a few hours I did get tired but it worth it.  This particular river is loaded with fall fish and river herring and I caught somewhere around 25 to 30 of them which was a lot of fun on a 3 weight and great for the spirit, nothing huge- 6" - 10" but lots of them.  A cool reward for spending a little extra energy to see what was around the next bend was this spill over I found below.

On Saturday morning I spent about 4 hours on my favorite trout river.  The water was low but there were pools and runs to be found and I had the place to myself.  Most anglers don't want to bother with the 8" native Brooks and wild Browns I guess.  I lost my first 3 trout all of which were small before landing a nice Rainbow on a Stewarts Black Spider.   I had to nap on Saturday afternoon as a result of lingering effects from surgery but I really felt pretty good overall.  IMG_E4127.thumb.JPG.6f1cfa5ddea37393ae8e1ed1007cd591.JPGIMG_E4131.thumb.JPG.3b84f72b109805cc2991c2b862e10f7c.JPG

On 7/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, Sandan said:

I got this 'bow yesterday. One of many but only took one picture.

20220716_094243.jpg

Beautiful Sandan!  This time of year you really got to work to find them in most rivers.

21 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Beautiful Sandan!  This time of year you really got to work to find them in most rivers.

Thank you @DFoster. They were holding and rising in so many places. Size 22 trico spinners were the ticket. 

@niveker Thanks. I love that quad. 8'3" true 5wt. Alan Kube, a local Denver rod maker built it for me. I got turned on to him by @vicrider. Thanks again Nick

Great pictures and every time I see or read about your Kube rod I kick myself for selling my 8' quad. I may have to contact him to do another or see what he's got on hand.

Happy you're still finding trout. Our winter stocked fish have long gone the way of the greenheart rods and even our couple of permanent rivers are having troubles with 100+ heat every day and very little cooling at night.

First crappie on a Fly I tied. Put a smile on my face during lunch break!

BBDCA150-D4F8-4F2A-97F6-EB6D042F8FDC.jpeg

4 hours ago, Squeezy said:

First crappie on a Fly I tied. Put a smile on my face during lunch break!

BBDCA150-D4F8-4F2A-97F6-EB6D042F8FDC.jpeg

the first of many. Nice job.

On 7/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, vicrider said:

Great pictures and every time I see or read about your Kube rod I kick myself for selling my 8' quad. I may have to contact him to do another or see what he's got on hand.

Happy you're still finding trout. Our winter stocked fish have long gone the way of the greenheart rods and even our couple of permanent rivers are having troubles with 100+ heat every day and very little cooling at night.

He pretty much always has something on hand.  Great guy, thanks again for the intro.  This for the Colorado, "The Colorado Parks and Wildlife has issued a voluntary closure from Pumphouse to State Bridge after 12:00pm There is a voluntary closure from State Bridge down to Bair Ranch all day. Please do you best to stay off the water at this time and protect our fishery. Please Bring a Thermometer and stop fishing when the water reaches 65 degrees."  It's been way too damn hot.