Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

A bass before and after it's makeup???

Nice fishes. You too, Flats!

I got out this morning. Everything is still up due to the recent rains. Slow. And small. And I stood on a fire ant nest (not pictured).

post-52832-0-99569100-1473011549_thumb.jpg post-52832-0-85458100-1473011578_thumb.jpg

Solid largemouth volunteered to take my #8 bluegill drinking straw popper. Lots of fun on a four weight from the tube. Scored some nice gills as well.

P9020038_zpsukykvwab.jpg

Here we go Mike,

P9090041_zpsbsjr7drt.jpg

P9090040_zpsyb0ajub8.jpg

Basically a clear drinking straw cut to length. I dress a TMC #8 #10 even #12 5263 or any 2x 3x hook with heavy thread. Stuff the straw cavity with EVA foam. You can use a bright 2mm craft foam up front for a sighter. Run gel super glue along the shank slip the body over the shank the friction created between the straw and foam bond the body tightly after the gel cures. You can add a mini weed guard and go to town with whatever materials you want for the tail and legs. Add little eyes if you want. Not the most durable in the world of poppers but hey cheap and easy to tie. Gills love em.

Yeah, I figured. I do a lot of flip flop foam poppers ... I am going to try to find a punch that will cut perfectly sized cylinders for a straw. Might be a little more durable than the plain foam.

Yeah, I figured. I do a lot of flip flop foam poppers ... I am going to try to find a punch that will cut perfectly sized cylinders for a straw. Might be a little more durable than the plain foam.

Flipflops and a punch are the bomb! Go for a punch size slightly larger than the inside diameter of the straw. I go 1 mm larger. More friction better bond. If you have trouble getting a good bond, flip the fly upright in the vise and drip a tiny amount of regular or flexible super glue on the face of the popper. Gravity and capillary action will carry it to the bottom end of the body between the foam, straw and shank.

That's a nice bass chuck.I love catching them on top water.

I use a old section of a telescopic radio antenna to cut small bodies in foam.They would probably be the perfect size for a straw.Those poppers look pretty cool and simple.My kinda fly.

That's a nice bass chuck.I love catching them on top water.

I use a old section of a telescopic radio antenna to cut small bodies in foam.They would probably be the perfect size for a straw.Those poppers look pretty cool and simple.My kinda fly.

I use these little poppers mainly for bluegill but it's amazing how many times the bass want in on the action too. An antenna who'd a thunk it? Various sizes and I bet could be made wickedly sharp as well. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm at the salvage yard. Cheers!

D2No8o7.jpgDock light fishing wasn't too bad, caught another one around this size maybe like an inch or two bigger, on a white shrimp pattern