Fly Tying
Lance Kekel

Realistic flies vs. "buggy"

Excluding attractor patterns like Royal coachmans and humpys, which do you prefer to fish with, realistic or "Buggy"?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

buggy Id agree I only steelie fish and they tend not to be as wide eyed as trout. Or that is the opinion I get from talking to the trout chasers. If I can keep a steelie from knowing that I am near and manage to keep them from getting spooked. I can get them to take almost any buggy looking fly. I often wonder if the same might be true for trout.?? I guess grahams steelies and a few others of you said that this may be the case with out saying it the way I did. "pressured streams need more real looking flies" Is that the same case as if I spook a steelie to my location.??

If I were a fish, I'd prefer buggy.I guess it Depends if you're tying for the fish or yourself. I want flys that will catch fish, so I try to include "triggers" like movement (or the illusion of movement), profile, etc. I have always admired someone who has the ability to tie really

good looking flys, whether the standard patterns or the super realistics.

Tied a realistic spider once and left it on my desk at the office. Found it smashed, along with a note from the cleaning lady. She didn't think it was funny.

I have found that the amount of time it takes to tie a fly has an inverse correlation to the amout of time it takes for me to snag it in a tree. I mostly tye buggy flies.

I have found that the amount of time it takes to tie a fly has an inverse correlation to the amout of time it takes for me to snag it in a tree. I mostly tye buggy flies.

LOL. Buggy for me... especially since I mostly target bluegill and bass. I would like to go for trout and am working up to it, at which point I may dial down the bugginess for dry flyes... but even then, I plan to pitch streamers to them.

"Buggy" (or imitative) is my preference. I've been meaning to tie up a bunch of dry flies of the "Nearenuf" pattern that Tap Tapply and friends put together in the late 50s by combining elements of the then-standard dry flies, and try fishing it whatever the hatch, to see what it does. I agree that presentation trumps realism.

-- Bill

I say use what works! I will be hitting the water with buggy and realistics. I recently sent a buddy of mine a couple of the P.W. Spiders in my patterns link. He used one yesterday and the first time it hit the water a bluegill destroyed it!!! He had to cut the tippet because the fish swallowed the whole fly. I will post a photo of the fish tomorrow.

I say use what works best for you.

-Sam

I like all of the above comments & ideas. I've caught Trout on buggy flies tied with the Petitjan gadget as well as less buggy Scud type patterns tied using glass beads & Lava Lace as the body (all wets).

I prefer neater dry flies but they don't have to perfectly resemble any critter.

I always trim the bottom of my dry fly hackles if I haven't tied them Parachute or Paraloop style.

I'm right into balsa poppers & closed cell foam beatle patterns for Bass & I have found it doesn't really matter if they are neat or not. A cranky Australian Bass will belt anything if it's in the mood.

Warren.

buggy for me, as the realistic flies do not seem to be practical as a "fishing fly" nor is it my genre of tying.

i do applaud tiers who tie realist flies, some of which are amazing,

I tie using the GISS method, General Impression, Size and Shape. Without detail but buggy in look.

Cheers

I tie using the GISS method, General Impression, Size and Shape. Without detail but buggy in look.

Cheers

Dave Enerbretson once said, "we must tie our fishing flies to give the impression of life". In this instance he was referring to aquatic nymphs. The right dubbing to capture air bubbles, or give the look of a translucent exoskeleton, or fibers that wiggle and move to mimic the legs of a struggling insect in the throes of metamorphosis. But to me this applies to all flies, be it a streamer for pike, a crayfish for bass, or a dry fly for trout.

Good Day,

Whatever the fish prefer! :P

Good points Day5! Agree!

I find myself using more realistic patterns on highly pressured water and buggy patterns on less pressured water for trout. But like Day5 said with regard to steelies...

Smallmouth - buggy.

Saltwater - depends on the species being fished for.

Lakes (bass and gills) - generally buggy.

Steelie

I tend to use more semi realistic nymphs and dries for trout on high pressure waters

warm water fishing is definetly buggy

steelhead is both depending on water condition fishing pressure and season no sense pitching a realistic nymph for steelhead in winter or in muddy water