Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
OLD BUD

HOW ABOUT THIS COMPANY !!!

In 1984 I bought a Fenwick Eagle fly rod for $99.00.A lot of money in those days.I caught hundreds of trout in the 27 years I fished it.But,in September the rod broke 8" from the tip.I was broken hearted.So,I called Fenwick to see what could be done.The lady told me they no longer have parts & asked for the model number of the rod.After some checking she said it had a lifetime warranty.I shipped the rod along with $9.95 for handling.A week later I got a HMX in the mail.It's an upgrade from the Eagle & casts great.Can't wait to get a fish on it.I thought I'd pass this on for what it's worth.Nice to know some companies still give this kind of service.

I always do an extensive search on a company's warranty when i'm buying something that i'll have for a long time. It's always nice to see company's stand behind their product and do what they can to help you.

Great things those lifetime warranties! I have a dragonfly 8wt made by Redl sports in BC. It broke above the handle for some bizzare reason that escapes me. called them and they replaced it. great service.

Marc

Sounds like a great company!

Flyderaght- it sounds like something could have fallen or been pressed on with some force

By something which caused tiny cracks and the. It eventually broke. Did you always put it in a case?

I had a custom built rod in the 90's i spent a load of money on and stupidly i didn't check any warranty, but in a similar case just 4 years ago it developed big splits in the blank just above the handle which i suspect may have been from tossing it in the boat and having it rest on the gunwales while cruising at high speed.

I told the builder, and he said i couldn't do anything about it and i now own an expensive tomato stake!

Since then i haven't bought a rod without first looking at the warranty offered.

I had a custom built rod in the 90's i spent a load of money on and stupidly i didn't check any warranty, but in a similar case just 4 years ago it developed big splits in the blank just above the handle which i suspect may have been from tossing it in the boat and having it rest on the gunwales while cruising at high speed.

I told the builder, and he said i couldn't do anything about it and i now own an expensive tomato stake!

Since then i haven't bought a rod without first looking at the warranty offered.

That's a problem with the builder himself and not with "all" custom rods. Because I give the same type of warranty with every custom rod I myself build that you would get with just about any of the big name companies out there. As a customer builder you almost have to do that if you want to stay in business because you would be amazed at how poorly people treat their equipment. I bet I have done at least 15 repairs on rods just this year alone due to owners not taking proper care of them.

Steve

That's a problem with the builder himself and not with "all" custom rods. Because I give the same type of warranty with every custom rod I myself build that you would get with just about any of the big name companies out there. As a customer builder you almost have to do that if you want to stay in business because you would be amazed at how poorly people treat their equipment. I bet I have done at least 15 repairs on rods just this year alone due to owners not taking proper care of them.

Steve

Good point, it is the builder himself - not sure if i should be dropping names... That's excellent you offer the same warranty that the big name companies offer, i really know nothing about building rods and how it works but i assume with a blank you get a warranty? Maybe i will come to you one day if you offer such a great warranty! Not that i need another rod, but i have been thinking of a 5wt TCX switch lately...

Steve

Good point, it is the builder himself - not sure if i should be dropping names... That's excellent you offer the same warranty that the big name companies offer, i really know nothing about building rods and how it works but i assume with a blank you get a warranty? Maybe i will come to you one day if you offer such a great warranty! Not that i need another rod, but i have been thinking of a 5wt TCX switch lately...

Jam, I can vouch for the quality of Steve's rods, they are incredibly well built. Fortunately, I have not needed to test the warranty yet but I have no doubt it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know when I will buy another rod but when I do it will be from him.

On the topic of this thread and companies, my father-in-law had a similar experience with G-Loomis. He had an old casting rod that he bought sometime in the late 80's or so. When it broke a couple of years ago he sent it in and got a beautiful new 7 ft. baitcaster. This was well after Shimano bought the company so they honor those old lifetime warranties of G-Loomis. There are a lot of well made products out there, but a good warranty on top of it is what sets some companies apart. For what it's worth, I own an old Fenwick my father-in-law gave me and I love it. They make great rods.

Yeah don't mention whom is was, no need to bad talk someone else if they aren't able to defend themselves so we'll keep the names out of it. Yep blanks all come with a Manufactures warranty which is basically a warranty that the blank will be free of any defects. Then it is up to the builder to decide if he wants to add his own warranty. Some builders do, some don't. I do because I like to stand behind my rods and I know if someone breaks one then I simply don't want them to be in the position you were in where your left with a couple hundred dollar tomato stake. I'm of the belief that if you take care of your customers then they will be loyal customers as long as your in business.

Steve

Fenwick was always my favorite rod back in my bait casting bassin' days. Steve, can you still get Fenwick blanks? I still intend on having you build me a fly rod and I would love to have some connection to my old bass days. Of course, getting the "OK" from the boss will decide when I get said rod... :lol:

Fenwick was always my favorite rod back in my bait casting bassin' days. Steve, can you still get Fenwick blanks?

It's been a number of years since Fenwick stopped selling their blanks, but there is a company called Lamiglass that has been around a very long time and they still sell high quality glass blanks that are the same action as the old Fenwick blanks. They are even yellow like the old Fenwick ones were as well.

Steve

Yeah don't mention whom is was, no need to bad talk someone else if they aren't able to defend themselves so we'll keep the names out of it. Yep blanks all come with a Manufactures warranty which is basically a warranty that the blank will be free of any defects. Then it is up to the builder to decide if he wants to add his own warranty. Some builders do, some don't. I do because I like to stand behind my rods and I know if someone breaks one then I simply don't want them to be in the position you were in where your left with a couple hundred dollar tomato stake. I'm of the belief that if you take care of your customers then they will be loyal customers as long as your in business.

Steve

Yeah i was left out of pocket when i thought i was buying a beautiful rod that would do me a lifetime of fishing only to have it break some 12 years later. I mean these days i do take more care of my rods as it was probably my own fault in this case. I am interested now, i might contact you later in the new year to put something together as i will need a switch come July (and i already am having ideas). Can't beat that service and for Agn54 to say he can attest to the quality then i am in!

I have a fenwick steelhead/salmon rod (bait rod) and it is one of my favorite rods. I have not seen any fenwick fly rods around here or I would check them out. I try not to buy a rod unless it has a lifetime warranty. I would rather spend a few more bucks and get a better product.

Rod abuse cases I remember ...

A good buddy of mine -- Mike, remember this?-- years ago put his Sage in his mouth while grappling a decent brown into a picture perfect posture. He shifted his weight and ... you got it.

The guy entering a major highway from a sideroad with a fly riod and reel resting on the roof of his car and ignoring our horn blasts....

Me, deliberately teasing a big chromer chinook into jumps with rod pressure until snapping it....

Rocco