Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Igniter4x

Felt Soled wading shoes

I have neoprene waders with boot all in one..the boot has felt bottoms and I need to know how I can get the felt off..effective 1 Mar 2012 Missouri trout parks will no longer allow shoes with felt on them in the streams..any suggestions appreciated.

I think if the boot is built in you are going to have a problem. If you do somehow cut all the felt off then you will have no sole and you will be slipping like crazy. I think the only thing for you to do is buy new rubber soled ones. You may be ableto get a good deal with allege black Friday sales coming up though.

here is a video from Mark VanPatten on how to treat felt soles-- looks messy, but might be worth a try before buying new waders..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_udcfZqA_w

Ya looks like new waders are in order.

Yup sounds like an absolutely piss poor solution. Suck it up and buy non felt if your state requires non felt. Although it sucks to pay for a good pair of boots they should last at least 3-5 seasons for the avid 30-50 a year fisherman and longer if not.

I have neoprene waders with boot all in one..the boot has felt bottoms and I need to know how I can get the felt off..effective 1 Mar 2012 Missouri trout parks will no longer allow shoes with felt on them in the streams..any suggestions appreciated.

I live in Missouri so I'm in the same boat. I've got four pair with felt soles-two pair of hip boots, wading shoes for stocking foot waders and boot foot waders. Won't be able to use any of them in the parks or at Taney. I've seen that video before and appears to me to be a worthless endeavor. I'll save the felt soles for wading other streams but guess I'll bite the bullet and get some new ones.

I don't think it's going to have any effect on keeping Didymo out of our streams, just another beuticratic rule.

......endorsed by the boot companies.......wasn't aware it would apply to Taney though..

I'm not positive about Taney, but I think it's included in the ban. If not, it soon will be I imagine. Being so close to Arkansas, which already has didymo, Taney is actually at greater risk than the parks.

Dave

agreed....which is why i'm not so sure i want to fish in Ark anymore.....as least the White River...now the challenge is in finding a good shoe that will help me stay upright on slippy surfaces !!! B)

Actually there are alternatives.

First off boot foot waders or boots have a fairly thick rubber sole that was rough ground prior to the adhesion of the felts at the factory.

That said your local shoe repair shop may be able to help. Here in Springfield that is Tom's Shoe Repair, 417-881-7581. they can grind off the "felts" leaving the basic shoe then apply a rubber skin over the rubber backer. tom tells me that he has done this for 10-12 anglers the last few months and hasn't had any complaints using that method. MDC says this is a viable option that is acceptable.

I have an extra set of soles I ma going to try the "contact cement" idea from MDC and report to Tom.

Third the ban on felt soles applies to all "cold" water streams whether or not they hold trout. That means spring fed or tail water. virtually every stream in the southern half of Missouri is included.

I have talked with Missouri conservation agent friends and none know how they will enforce this. That is not to say that we should try to get by with but I understand that Arkansas has not instituted a similar ban as yet.

You can get five ten resoling kits, and do it yourself. I have done it, and it is NOT difficult. Most of the felt sole I have had FALL OFF without prompting. You should be able to peel them off, if you can get a bit of it started. Once that is done, you can get a wire wheel on a bench grinder, or a wire wheel for an electric drill, to get most of the old glue off. The soles from five ten, are pretty decent (nothing is as good as felt). I have done a set of my own, twice. And, frankly, they stay on far better than felt soles! Five Ten

I live in Missouri so I'm in the same boat. I've got four pair with felt soles-two pair of hip boots, wading shoes for stocking foot waders and boot foot waders. Won't be able to use any of them in the parks or at Taney. I've seen that video before and appears to me to be a worthless endeavor. I'll save the felt soles for wading other streams but guess I'll bite the bullet and get some new ones.

I don't think it's going to have any effect on keeping Didymo out of our streams, just another beuticratic rule.

This will P1ss you off. Check the actual Missouri law as passed. It may exempt state and federal workers. They can still wear felt.

The Vermont law exempts the state and federal workers. The proposed Montana law died in committee because this exemption was "felt" to be unfair.

Passed Vermont Legislation:

http://tinyurl.com/86agym7

"Sec. 1. 10 V.S.A. § 4616 is added to read: § 4616. FELT-SOLED BOOTS AND WADERS; USE PROHIBITED

It is unlawful to use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the waters of Vermont, except that a state or federal employee or emergency personnel, including fire, law enforcement, and EMT personnel, may use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the discharge of official duties."

Montana Proposed Legislation, died in commitee:

http://tinyurl.com/73pyvv4

"NEW SECTION. Section 2. Use of felt-soled boots and waders prohibited. (1) A person may not use external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders in the waters of the state.

(2) The possession of external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders on the banks or shores of a stream or lake or in a boat, raft, canoe, or other water vessel is prima facie evidence that the person or persons in whose possession the boots or waders are found were using the boots or waders in the waters of the state.

(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to a state or federal employee or emergency personnel, including fire, law enforcement, and emergency medical technicians, using external felt-soled boots or external felt-soled waders when acting within the scope of duty."